View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 "Race" and teaching... 
All-star
All-star

Even though in anthropology, there is no "race" term that technically exists... how comfortable do you feel teaching someone of a different ethnic background? Do you think that Appalachian is preparing us for this considering that our campus is about 96% white/caucasian?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that ASU is not doing its job in preparing us to teach all sorts of backgrounds. I definitely am not prepared to teach a student who cannot speak any/little english. I am nervous about reaching and adapting my lessons to these types of students! What do we do?

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that race is a subject that is brought up in alot of the classes that I have had at Appalachian. I think that I must treat all students the same. It is difficult, however, to get a good understanding of race and racial issues when our University is not very diverse.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that appalachian could be doing a better job to help us learn how to teach people of other ethinic backgrounds. I know that we are taking the diversity classes in block I, but i still feel that we need more interaction with this to become comfortable with it, and that there should be more opportunities to interact with children and people of other ethnicities up at app. especially for education majors.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that there need to be some changes to the education program since a lot of the schools that we go to are not ideal teaching sites. I feel like there is not a lot of time dedicated on how to teach different students.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:36 am
All-star
All-star

I also agree that Appalachian could be doing a better job of preparing us for teaching in a diverse/racial environment. After being involved with different groups at ASU, such as Appol Corps, one of the main focuses that have been discussed has been diversity on our campus. Overall ASU has a great amount of diversity when you look beyond racial issues. For example, there is a great diverse among our students when it comes to religion backgrounds, cultural backgrounds, athletes, etc. It is easy to claim that ASU is not diverse due to race, but when you think about the billions of different clubs and organizations that different people are members of, one could say that there's a variety of people that make up this university. As far as preparing us as educators, I personally feel that I am not prepared to teach in a racial diverse classroom; in fact, the thought makes me nervous. We discuss often in our classes the importance of diversity and what to do in certain diverse environments, but we have not applied what we have learned! I suppose ASU is making up for this, by shipping us on a bus an hour and a half away for Block I students to do their practicum in a more diverse environment.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:04 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was actually rather concerned with I first came to Appalachian that I would not get a lot of background on different races because our school is prodominently white. However, I am pleasently suprised because I feel a lot more prepared than I thought I would. Honestly, how prepared can you actually be though? I think that it is our job to find out what kind of diverse learners are in our class and then make an effort to find out information about their culture. I do not think that there is any way that Appalachian can fully prepare us for teaching in such a diverse society.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that in my Diverse Learners class I have learned a lot, and feel more confident about teaching students of different races. Plus, I have discovered through this class that there are many resources out there - internet, books, etc. to help us teach students of other ethnicities effectively. I think it will take effort on our part to learn this. I don't know what else Appalachian can really do. And honestly, I imagine that many of us don't make an effort to get to know the students of other ethnicities that ARE here at ASU!

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]