View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Favorite and not so favorite teachers 
All-star
All-star

I was thinking the other day about some of my favorite teachers and what I can do in my classroom, that they did for me. Who was your favorite teacher? Why were they your favorite? My favorite teacher was my second grade teacher because she would dress up in like an old grandma costume and teach class in a funny old grandma voice.

Who was your not so favorite teacher? Why? Mine was my fourth grade teacher, because she was one of those teachers who has been teaching since the dark ages and just needs to retire. If you messed up in her class, she would make you write sentences.

The reason I am asking is for you to consider this when you start teaching. I know I want to be a good teacher, and not seen as an old grouch, so consider what you favorite teacher did for you and give it back to your students? What do you think?!?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:24 pm
All-star
All-star

My favorite teacher was my seventh and eighth grade social studies teacher, Mr. Greene. He was one of the best teachers that I have every had because he made learning fun. He was also someone that you could depend on if you had any problems at all. He was also a teacher who did not play favorites.

My not so favorite teacher was my seventh and eighth grade science teacher. He would make everyone feel stupid if they asked any questions and he was not one to care about anything but himself.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:47 pm
All-star
All-star

My favorite teacher was my 11th grade AP English teacher. She was so gentile and open to letting us think for ourselves. We actually had a small class, so it made it really easy for us to having meaningful group discussions. She let us make assignments our own rather than making it fit into some formula for some test.

My least favorite teacher was my 4th grade teacher because I just think she had no idea what she was doing. She told us that thunder was clouds bumping into each other. I learned nothing in her class because I had just moved to NC from NE and I was 2 years ahead. She did nothing to foster any development for me. Granted, I don't think she should have developed lesson plans on my behalf, but there had to be some way for her to give me some enrichment.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My favorie teacher was my fifth grade teacher Mrs. Stacey. She was such a kind and caring women and she helped me through alot when my dad was sick with cancer. She had a very fun and relaxed classroom but still maintained order. I know that her helping me through my tough times is what stands out in my mind and is what I would like to be able to provide for a child if they need it. My second grade teacher was not my favorite teacher because she just did things that made her class competitive and i felt not as open to learning. She did mad minutes and I never finished on time and she made me feel like me and everyone else that didnt finish wasnt good and that we werent as smart as others. I do not ever want my children to feel that way.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My favorite teacher was my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Smith. I remember when I was out for the chicken pox the class was going to make Christmas shirts. She came to my house and brought the materials for me to make my Christmas t-shirt. She always went the extra mile with everything she did.

My least favorite teacher was my fifth grade teacher. Fifth grade was a nightmare! She treated us like we were in the military. Our bathroom passes were dog tags. She was just hateful!

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My favorite teacher was my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Smith. I remember when I was out for the chicken pox the class was going to make Christmas shirts. She came to my house and brought the materials for me to make my Christmas t-shirt. She always went the extra mile with everything she did.

My least favorite teacher was my fifth grade teacher. Fifth grade was a nightmare! She treated us like we were in the military. Our bathroom passes were dog tags. She was just hateful!

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a very good question to ask because you think about why you want to be a teacher and it is because of some of the teachers I have had in the past. I actually have had two favorite teachers and it is basically because of the same reason. They were very hands on and outspoken. You never had to question what they were thinking or what they expected out of you. They were very organized with the class time and spent the class time wisely. The biggest thing I believe though was that they were interested in what they did and it showed therefore the students were involved. They never had that teachers pet and everyone was treated equally.
Now on the other had the one teacher that I absolutly did not like was my 5th grade english teacher. The main reason is because she thought that she just was the high horse of the class and that what we had to say did not matter, her answer was the only thing that counted. She put students down if they did poor on a test and she assigned so much work that did not pertain to what we were doing in class. Her projects were outrageous and very time consuming but never amounted to anything. My parents did not even appreciate this woman because to her it was what you produced in class physically and not what you learned that made you smart.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:35 pm
All-star
All-star

Hannah, I think you brought up a good point, that we should "give back" what we liked in our teachers. It seems that many of our "favorites" were somewhat nonconventional. I think that when we become teachers, and have to deal with EOG tests, it will be very tempting to slip into rigid, boring instruction. So let's not get lazy, let's step out of the box and make our classes interesting!

My favorite teacher was Mrs. Tamfu in 5th grade. I liked the way she ran her classroom. We did fun projects and experiments (made sugar crystals) - which I learned a lot through! She gave us our homework list for the whole week so that we could work on it at our own pace.

My least favorite teacher was Mrs. Rowe, my 9th grade Foods and Nutrition teacher. Her class was soooooooooooooo boring! She could have made it really fun! All we did was read our textbook, take pre-tests, and then the exact same post-tests. I could go on and on...

Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:11 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]