View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 African American Males and other myths 
All-star
All-star

In Bireda's article I started contemplating the various myths that many minorities are labeled with, and to be honest the myth of the African American male that is described in the article is something that drives me to teach. I want to teach inner city/urban at risk youth because of stereotypes like this because I believe them to be so untrue. The myth of the "Sambo" and the "Brute" still live on, and it's pretty ridiculous. I remember being in a classroom in middle school and having our teacher ask us a questions. Two black males raised their hands to answer and were ignored. It wasn't until (after some time) that I raised my hand and was immediately called on. This is the kind of thing that goes on daily in so many classrooms and it needs to stop. So I think my question is, other than your thoughts on this artcile is, what other myths/stereotypes do you find are alive and kicking in our classrooms today?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Like you stated, the "Sambo" and "Brute" idea is very much alive today. Another myth that I feel is coming alive today is the fact that all Hispanics are illegal immigrants and that most get everything such as food and health care for free. I do not believe that this myth is true, but I have heard several people state these facts. The fact is that no matter what race, there are people who do get things for free and do not work, whether they be white black, Chinese, Japenese, Hispanic, etc... I think that we as teachers need to do our best to diminsh these myths but it will be a difficult task because they are part of the racism that rages in our world today.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:52 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]