View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Native American students 
All-star
All-star

I was looking over the list of things to do when teaching about Native Americans, and there was one thing that really stuck out to me: Do not assume that there aren't any Native American students in your class. This is a really good rule to follow because there are many teachers and professors that have assumed that my brothers and I are not Native American. I have had to correct many teachers and professors when they assume that all the kids in the class are white. My question to you is: Do you think that teachers follow this rule, as well as, the others stated in the document?

For the document, look on the syllabus, under March 2nd.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that change begins with education, many people do not know or realize many of the issues brought up in that reading, this includes many teachers. However, I do think if you are able to empathize with all people, most of the list extends to all situations...and will eventually become common sense.
So, I think that it is important if faced with a situation on the list, that you educate that person/student/teacher, do not take offense.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Heath, I'd have to agree with you because you never know your students background unless you have actually read through their files and backgrounds, and even then, you still have to be careful. I know when I was going to school in Europe, I was thought to be from several different countries depending on what I was wearing, where I was at, and what I was doing. Teachers should never take for granted that all their students have the same background, culturally, racially, or econically.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:26 pm
All-star
All-star

To be honest, this whole teaching thing is very new to me. I hadn't really given my teaching style much thought until this semester. I would like to think that I will not jump to conclusions about any of my students. I want to try and see them all for who they are. At least now I can say that this is a rule that I am aware of and it will help me with those awkward situations where the teacher does over generalize and make false statements.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not think that teachers follow this rule and it is funny that I chose to look at this topic because it actually happend in this class I was in today doing my internship. The school is mainly hispanic with about an even amount of african american and white students. Before I went to this class I had e-mailed the teacher and asked her about her class and she told me that there were 8 hispanics, 5 african americans and 3 white students. When i got there today I noticed a girl who to me was clearly Native American but it was like it was easier for the teacher to classify her as an Hispanic. That is one thing that I am seriously going to try and do with my class is recognize the differences among my students.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]