View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Laura Bush and boys 
All-star
All-star

Yesterday as I was watching the Sunday morning show (on either CBS or NBC can't remember), I watched a fascinating interview with Laura Bush. One of her new platforms is advocating for equality in boys' education. She is specifically reaching out to boys based on statistics that show that more males are involved in crimes, and more kids are being raised without fathers. Boys are more likely to drop out, use drugs and become involved with gangs.

I am impressed with her initiative and think that boys do need better role models and in many cases, better teachers. However, I am not sure that I think we should shift the focus away from giving equality to girls in school. Although girls have made progress, we haven't equalized the playing field. Girls still score lower in math and science. I think that all students deserve the same chance, but obviously that is not happening, with either gender, and obviously not with race or social class. It sounds like her reform tries to target some socioeconomic issues.

I am pleased that something good can come in the midst of vouchers and NCLB. She was an educator and appears to be more articulate than her husband; I hope she can make a difference, but I don't think girls should be put on the back burner.

Here is the offical link to the White House site with specifics about her agenda.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/firstlady/helping-youth.html

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:37 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 1 post ]