View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Bilingual Education, How prepared are you? 
All-star
All-star

As we have discussed diversity and cultural backgrounds, I realized that we have not discussed entirely a major problem of language barriers in our classrooms. It makes me nervous, that I may have a spanish-speaking student in my classroom, and I haven't had spanish since High School! How prepared are you? Do you feel comfortable teaching children who do not speak the same language as you? Do we not fret, and leave the teaching to the bilingual eduaction teachers who follow the student around assisting them throughout the day? Should education majors be required to take language courses during their college careers?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:26 am
All-star
All-star

I forgot to include a great website that I found that has tons of resources that you may be interested in checking out!

http://www.csun.edu/~hcedu013/eslbil.html

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This happened to me today! I went into my classroom and over half of my students for my internship were hispanic. I have decided that I am going to take a spanish course this summer just so that I can learn the basics. I used to think that the Hispanics should have to conform to our language but with this new generation it really is not their fault they are the ones being brought up in a hispanic home where their parents are not teaching them this language. Therefore as a teacher it is our job to teach them our language and in order to do that we must first understand theirs.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm with you Blair. I think it is important for Hispanic students to learn English if they are going to live in the US, but I also think they might need some support along the way ie) translation from their teachers. I never took Spanish in school, so I think I should take some courses to learn it. I have heard of some schools offering Spanish courses to their teachers - I thought this was a great idea!

Just a side note...when my family lived in France for a year, when I was about 2 years old, my two older sisters went to a French speaking school. They were in Kindergarten and third grade. Because of "submerssion" in the language, they were able to learn it quickly and did okay in their classes.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:57 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]