View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Over Crowding of Schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a scary topic for me. I know teachers who have thirty students in their classroom. New schools are often built to small. I even know of an elementary school that had to convert their locker rooms into classrooms in order to have enough class rooms. What if we as new teachers face an over crowded school and have thirty students in our classroom?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally know what you mean about the overcrowding problem in public schools today. Like alot of schools my elementary school had more portable rooms then the actual school building had. On average I had about 35 students in my classroom and that was without a teachers assistant. The problem of overcrowding does in fact scare me as a beginning teacher. I guess if we are put in this situation the only thing we can do is talk to other teachers and principals about how to easily and accuratly teach a large classroom. Until then though we should voice our opinions to the administrations and local governments about this rising problem.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

While you, the classroom teacher have 35 students in a class, I will be teaching physical education that includes 3-4 classes in one. That's 70 plus students in each class with usually 2 P.E. teachers. I think we all have to realize that overcrowding is a problem we will most likely face in most of the schools we will be working in. I do believe class size should be a lot smaller for all of us, but I realize that until a change is made within the education field itself, we will continue to have large classes.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that there is really not a way to solve that problem other than really modifying your classroom instruction. I think that you as a teacher have to look at every lesson and realize that large group instruction might be a little harder because you have to keep all 30 students quite and in one place, and that you may want to look at more grouping with students. Focus many activities around students working together and I mean this by not just in groups of academic intellegence but random groups of students. You as a teacher will be able to better work with the students because you can move between small groups and see the progress and will not have to answer the silly questions because hopefully the students in the group with them could possibly answer it for them. I also believe that you are going to have to change up your teaching styly a little more because you have a wide range of students to adjust to and it is going to require more time and effort to create lessons that are equal to all.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am from Charlotte which is in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. This is one of the biggest school districts in the state. Nearly all of my classes had at least 25-30 people in them; so I guess that overcrowding in schools is something that I have always had to deal with. Even though this is always and issue I have dealth with, I am still nervous of being the teacher for 30 children. I feel much more prepared to deal with diversity in the classroom since taking my block 1 classes, but I don't think there is any way to prepare a teacher for that kind of situation. I also feel that it would be really difficult to have individualized lessons for all the students in an overcrowed class. In this kind of situation, what do you do? Teach twards the middle ground of the class? If so what happens to the upper and lower students in the class?

Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:30 pm
All-star
All-star

After working at the school for block i was told that in NC you can not have a class over 18 4th grade or lower so that is just something to think about

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this is something you just learn to deal with as you get more experience. I did my practicum out at Parkway where there was 60-70 kids in the PE class. At first I was terrified at the thought of being in charge of all of them but I think this is where you have to set routines and the kids will get use to them. When I actually started teaching they were so set in doing the routines they had been previously taught it made it easier on me because both you and the students know what to expect.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know the law for NC class size but I know of classes with over 18 students in them in the lower grades. Even if it is against the law it is happening.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I have to say that I was fortunate to have not been in a class that had more than twenty-five while in high school. However, I have had a class in college that crammed 43 people in a 30 person class. Not the best of situation. I think that in order to give adequate attention to students in an overcrowded classroom is to double up on materials, have students share resources. While this may sound impossible, it goes to show students in a very real way how in everyday life we must share limited resources with different kinds of people.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]