View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:11 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Holding Students Back 
All-star
All-star

Just recently I learned that in NC you can only be held back once between Kindergarten and 2nd grade, and only once again between 3rd and 5th. I am in a 1st grade classroom right now in Block 1 and there are 3 students in my class who do not know their colors, the meaning of letters, or the word "different". The teacher is this class is at a struggle because she has to pass 2 of these students because they were held back in Kindergarten. I understand the reason for the rule of not being held back twice, but I don't think these students should be moving to 2nd grade. What do you think about this subject??

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That’s defiantly not the best situation for the students or the teacher. I know a lot of schools implement programs like Title One to help kids like these. Is there any program of that kind where the students can be taken out of the class for some remedial help in the key areas that they are missing?

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:13 am
All-star
All-star

I never knew about that rule. I understand why it is there but think of how hard it is going to be for that 2nd grade teacher when a child is getting bumped up when he/she is probably still on a kindergarten level. I guess alot of special help and extra lessons for that child will only get them through it.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would also like to know what programs the school has implimented to help these children.
I know that there are so many studies about the affects of being held back on students. As a teacher, this is a huge desicion and should not be made alone. It will affect the student for the rest of his/her school life and possibly beyond. Teachers need to enlist the help of the parents, principle, councelors and possibly other teachers when deciding the fate of the child...I believe that the desicions to hold children back are made too lightly without the thought/understanding of the long term consequences for the child, or they are the burden of only the classroom teacher.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:02 am
All-star
All-star

I would never want to hold a child back, but who would WANT to do that? However, I think that if these children are showing signs that they need special attention, then something should be done to provide that for them. At the same time, this is probably wishful thinking because resources are surely limited. It's definitely a Catch 22. How is the teacher you are working with handling it?

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]