View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Assistant/No Assistant 
All-star
All-star

I was just curious as to how the class felt about having assistants with you in the classroom when you begin teaching. I know the secondary teachers may not have much of a choice as far as having assistants, but most of the time elementary grades have a teacher and an assistant in the classroom. I found it interesting that the teacher in which I am working with in first grade does not have an assistant, however she only has 14 students! I think it would be nice to have an assistant to help out, but others may like to have the classroom to their themselves. Would you like having an assistant or would you rather have the classroom to yourself? What are some pros and cons of having or not having an assistant?

Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am
All-star
All-star

Personally I don't really want an assistant in my classroom. I know this sounds funny because most people would want an extra helping hand, but I would rather teach by myself. Talking to people about this subject I have found that most people that had an assitant in their classroom growing up wants one when they teach. On the other hand if you never had an assitant inyour classroom most do not. In all my elementary and middle school years I never had an assitant. I didn't even realize their was such thing until I started working in the schools here. I think this is a great question to ask people, and I think its interesting how everyone is so differnet in their teaching.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For me, I think it would depend. I am working with a kindergarten class this semester in Lenior and my teacher has an assistant and only 15 kids. I thought this was a little excessive because she does not have that many children in her class. However, after visiting a couple of times, I understand why she needs an assistant. The children are very diverse and many of them have the beginings of ADHD and are too young to be treated yet. Therefore, I do not think it would hurt for me to have an assistant in my classroom, especially since I plan to teach K-2.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it would be very beneficial to have an assistant in my classroom. I'm sure everyone knows what a busy job teaching is and why not have some extra help???? There is only so much a person can do and handle before they go crazy!

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that an assistant could be a huge benefit to a classroom. However, the teacher needs to keep a close eye on the assistant to be sure they are adhering to the teaching style of the classroom. Another authority figure has the potential to damage the progress of the teacher, whether is be disciplinary or curriculum related.
By the way, does anybody know what schooling or certification an assistant needs...if any?

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:48 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think I'd really want an assistant persay. I think I would enjoy parents and various community members coming in to help with the class on occassion, but I don't think I'd want a full time assistant in my classroom. Although I know that when I go to help in my internship, it really helps the teacher out because she is not having to answer so many questions. Kids are also getting more individualized attention which is also important. So I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't completely reject it, but I think I'd rather not.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:28 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]