View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Healthy People Act 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The Healthy People Act of 2010 is something that is trying to be passed. It would require students to participate in physical activity for 90 minutes for 3 days a week. This would be for all students K-12. Right now the requirement is 30 minutes a day 3 days a week for elementary and middle. Do you think this would be a good thing to increase the time to 90 minutes?

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Personally I think I'd like to see it go to 5 days a week and maybe increase to 30-45 minutes or maybe even an hour. I think that this is so important that kids get physical activity. While I think I our schools want to promote health and fitness, the evidence in the cafeterias prove otherwise. In addition to physical activity, I really wish cafeterias would provide more nutritious foods to eat. I watch the kids at school eat absolute garbage, and sometimes they really have no choice. Obesity is an epidemic, and it needs to be addressed.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a very interesting subject and I am glad someone posted about it. I agree obesity is an epidemic and something needs to be done about it. I think it is a great idea to increase the physical activity level for children. I agree with Summer in that moving to five days a week for about 30-45 would be the better way to go. I believe it might be somewhat unrealistic to expect children to participate in physical activity for 90 minutes, 3 days a week--thats alot--but it would be great if they would do it.
About the cafeteria statement--HOW TRUE!! I am really getting to see it firsthand as I am out in the schools now like twice a week and the food is absolutly horrible. One of my best friends parents work at a school where they are trying a new Healthy Kids program in the cafeteria and they took out all the snacks, ice cream, chips, crackers and now the only thing the kids can buy extra is fruit smoothies and granola bars. I think this is a wonderful idea and I wish other schools would try it out and implement it.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Since I started teaching I have not eaten in the school cafeteria once. It is disgusting and I really feel sorry for the kids, who really have no other choice. I have heard of schools who rejected state money and implemented their own menus, healthy ones. I wish our school would do this!

The 90 minute thing is standard in high school for a block schedule. It's just too hard to dress out, work out and shower in 45 minutes. But for elementary, I think 60 would be good. 30 minutes doesn't seem enough to get into any game.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I love the idea of implementing more phys ed in school. Habits tend to be established early in life, and good exercise habits are essential for future health. I wish I had better discipline when it comes to exercising. The health of Americans is definitely declining, and hopefully this act would increase our overall health as a country.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:28 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]