View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 rewards for grades 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have been reading A Hope in the Unseen recently and I came across something interesting to me. In the book, students who make good grades get a check for $100. In the situation in the book, I can understand giving a reward to students to do well to motivate those who don't, but I think that the $100 is a little drastic. I think that this money could be put to better use for something else. I was wondering what ya'll thought about it. Also, did you ever get rewards for your grades? For example, I know a lot of my friends would get so much money for an A and a little bit less for a B.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:11 pm
All-star
All-star

When I read A Hope In the Unseen, I also found this interesting! I remember getting the typical smiley face on my paper, candy, treats for making good grades as a student but never recieving $$ (which would have been nice, although it seems a bit much!) As a future educator I wonder if we reward our children too much to the point that our students EXPECT the reward and may not attempt things unless they are rewarded for them. Shouldn't students have a desire to be successful whether they are rewarded or not? After working with freshmen last semester, in Freshmen Seminar, it was obvious that our society leads a society in which people EXPECT good, when they do good....what happened to a society doing good for the cause and right of doing good?

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was never rewarded at home for good grades with money because that was expected of me but I had a lot of friends who did get paid for making certain honor rolls. In school I had one teacher who rewarded us each week with snacks and playing outside. Each week if you did what you were suppose to you would get to go outside for about an hour and play whatever you wanted while the other students had to stay in and work.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:40 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]