View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 A Class Divided 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering what everyone thought about the movie we watched tonight, 'A Class Divided'? I had already seen it in my learner diversity class but didn't mind watching it again because I love it! The real question I have for you is do you think we could do something like this in our schools today? Do you think there is a way we can conduct an experiment like this and not get a law suit filed on us or upset the public?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I also really enjoyed watching this particular film. I wonder how I could effectively implement this in a classroom that is 90% black. I think it still has important lessons to learn, but eye color probably won't divide people as easily. I think that this was an excellent lesson, and I was more intrigued by the adult response. I think it could most definitely be used today...and should where appropriate, but I do agree that teachers should be thoroughly trained to handle a successful delivery of the lesson.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought it is a good way for white people to get a small bit of understanding for the way that minorities feel all the time. It doesn't give them a full understanding, but they can get something out of it, like the adults in the movie. I think it is good and should be used in schools, especially those schools that are predominantly white, the elementary school in the movie.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed the movie also! I don't remember where I watched it before, but like you said Sarah, I didn't mind watching it again. I would love to use it in my classroom, because it does make you think about discrimination. Granted, like we mentioned in class, and Heath mentioned, it is only a little taste of what many minorites face everyday of their lives. I was amazed that the adults in that teachers class, still remembered and taught their kids about the negative aspects of discrimination. I was also very impressed at how harsh the teacher could be too!

Have a safe and restful spring break everyone!

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I was thinking about this movie on my way home from class. I'm assuming there were no green eyed/hazel eyed people in that class because they were just divided into blue and brown eyed people. I think it was a great tape and i really enjoyed watching it. I think every teachers classroom would benefit from it but I don't know how well it would go over with parents in todays world.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that this was a great movie for us and for students to watch. I do not think that we would be able to do an experiment like this in the schools today without getting sued. I think that something like this would be a great way to helpa child understand what discrimintaion is but I honestly think that we would have to find other ways that would not threaten the jobs of teachers.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I, too really enjoyed this video and I think it was the third time I had seen it but I didn't mind watching it again! I think this would be a great thing to do in a classroom to help children get a taste of what it's like to be discriminated against. I really don't know if you could get away with doing something like this in the schools today without having angry parents calling or getting a lawsuit. Even though the children in the video felt aweful when it was happening to them, it was something that they never forgot and I'm sure they thought twice about discriminating against people later in their lives. Like others have mentioned, this is only a taste of what minorities feel each and every day of their lives and I think that children should realize this.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:55 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]