View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Diversity in the schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have been in the schools lately and I was just wondering what kinds of diversity have you guys encountered and do you feel you are prepared from the classes you have taken to handle it.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Ugh...this is a major thing for me. I really cherish diversity and hate the lack of exposure to it. However, it has challenged me to seek out diversity in different forms. It is like the standing up exercise we did tonight, we are a diverse group of people in many ways. However, I would like to work with more diverse population in terms of race and SES. I would like to learn more about the balance that is maintained based on these areas, and how to deal with problems when the balance is disturbed.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I am burke county for my block and have noticed that the county as whole is poor. The diversity that i have witnessed there is mostly inclusion of all the students. Are the poorer schools more excepting of students differences than richer schools???

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I recently was in Burke County also. I have experienced diversity in many forms including (learning disabilites, ADHD---issue of ritalin and adderal, different ethnic backgrounds, different social classes) My teacher said that you should think about diversity as a whole and remember and pretains to most or all of your students in some way. My school in Burke County I would have to say was not like yours Brandon.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:02 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

While I have not been in the schools for quite some time, I have seen a large degree of diversity. Diversity does not have to include only ethnicity, but rather many different things. For example, I have seen rich and poor taking the same classes. I have seen clean students and students with poor hygiene. I have seen different religions and different denominations within those religions. I have seen diversity in a very wide sense.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I have been out in the schools here recently, I have seen alot of diversity. Most of the children come from really poor backgrounds and family life, many of whom their basic needs are not met, which makes school and concentrating very difficult for them. Many of the kids are starving, have no snack and cant wait until lunch time when they know they will have a hot meal. I find this very disturbing and somewhat unsettling, as I have never experienced hunger or doing without in my lifetime. There are a great number of other diversities like hearing impairment, learning disabilites, etc. that I see in my class. I think in working in a school like the one where I'm at, it is just so hard to see the kids doing without and trying so hard to just get some attention as they have none at home. I just want to take these children home with me and love them--I think this is one of the harderst areas when it comes to teaching!! I am definetly learning alot out there which is great.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I did my internship @ avery county high school and there was not much diversity in the races. There were some Latino kids, but it was mostly caucasion.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:21 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]