View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 effects of media? 
All-star
All-star

We may have touched on this in class and I'm sure many of you have discussed it in your CI 3850 class, but I came across this article and was wondering if you felt that media does play a major role/ affects children a great deal? Is it always a negative affect or can media sometimes be a positive way of learning? Check out this article and then let me know what you think!
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/parentin ... index.html

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:16 am
All-star
All-star

You know how they say "everything in moderation"? I feel that moderation is key to a child's exposure to television. I thought the article was very interesting, and I started to try and deduce why that may be. Maybe the kids who are overexposed to tv are crying out for more attention since they weren't getting it from parents. Or to go a little further than that, maybe these kids are lacking in interpersonal skills because the parents did not take time to develop them. It's an interesting study to ponder.

But to answer the first question you posed, yes I think the media is a huge influence on our kids today. It defines pop culture which aims itself at the younger generations. Recent studies have shown that young adolescents have HUGE buying power, and are serioulsy being marketed towards as consumers. I think that again, in moderation, media in all of its forms is useful. Kids love TV, video games, movies, music, surfing the net. So why not harness it for positive use. Teach them to analyze what media is surrounding them with, and teach them to buy smart consumers and citizens!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that the media does have an effect on kids. Advertisers are have aimed products at kids for years and they do so because parents try to buy their kids what they want. But, I think that people overanalyze the effects of TV on people period. One example that I would like to use, because no one has even friggin mentioned it lately, the school shooting in Minnesota on the Red Lake reservation. I have heard several reports, on TV and the internet, that the music this kid was listening to persuaded him to do this terrible act. The reporters claim that the kid was listening to a band called the Insane Clown Posse have a song with lyrics about taking a gun to school and shooting people. Now, they do have many songs with these types of lyrics, BUT, what they fail to tell you is that this band is making fun of the people who do this kind of stuff. The reporters also claim that this band is Satanic. This could not be further from the truth. The example I have just given you is evidence that 1) the media has a big effect on people's thinking and 2) that people over analyze all types of media, music especially. If I'm off base here, sorry.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:16 pm
All-star
All-star

As Newton's law says: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I think this applies very poignantly in regards to the media. In some aspects, the media provides a tool for expanding the horizons of our students. In the same regards, it spreads the ideas of only those who control the media. The news is a good example. Both FOX and CBS give the news in a manner in which the news is conveyed well. However, each give their own spin on the news to support their own beliefs.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I definately think the media has the power to influence lives just like anything else we encounter, because our mind is constantly processing what we take in through our senses. We also remember a lot of what we take in with our senses. I believe that if we watch a lot of a particular topic on TV, we will probably think about it more. So if someone watches a lot of sex, violence, or even the history channel, he or she will likely think about that thing. I think it's important for parents to monitor what children watch and how often. Some things on TV simply aren't appropriate for children, especially because when your young it's hard to seperate fiction from reality on TV. Also, I could point to the decline in children's health recently. I believe that most children watch too much TV and don't get enough physical activity. Plus the social aspect, which Summer previously mentioned.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:03 am
All-star
All-star

I think media has a GREAT influence on children at younger and younger ages each day. There are many commericals about losing weight, diet pills, dying hair, growing hair, etc. On tv today it seems that it is not okay to be yourself which is a horrible image to send to children. I think the media and society needs to look again at where we are headed in the future and what we are influencing children today to do and look like.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:47 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]