View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Hellen Keller 
All-star
All-star

Last week in class we were talking about the things that don't get taught to kids in schools. For example we talked about how we can hardly find anything to read about Hellen Keller's life when she was grown up. Everyone kept saying "all we ever read about is the water pump incident and we never hear about the other things she did". I completely agree that books should contain her whole life and not just her childhood but please don't brush off all of her accomplishments and achievements. For a deaf-blind mute person, learning as quickly and effiecently as she did deserves all the credit she has recieved.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I was impressed to know what all she had really accomplished, but angered to have received a distorted version of her history. I talked to my 8 year old son about it, and he verified that all they tell them in school is that she did remarkable things for disabled persons. It is a shame that we can't celebrate the achievements of a forward thinking woman, which seems to me what it is really about. We don't women to be too forward or god forbid, speak their minds and challenge the status quo. Thanks, Gayle, for enlightening us on this issue!

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:10 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]