View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 What if your child was....... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering what if your child is gay, or a transgender, cross desser, anything out of what our cultural says the norm. What are your beliefs. You can think about this either your own child in the future or students in your classroom.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:16 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Since I hold very deep convictions over the whole idea of homosexuality and do not believe it to be a natural occurrence, I would still love my child as a parent should. However, seeing as that I do not want those ideas to be promoted in my home, I would have to ask my child to refrain from acting in that manner in my home. I would not reject them, but would encourage them to see what I believe would be the error of their ways.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I know that I would still love my child. I think as a parent you should and and you should have the desire to love your child no matter what that child chooses to do.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I hope to display unconditional love to my child like my parents have displayed for me, no mater what the circumstance may be. Even though the whole idea of homosexuality scares me/ makes me so nervous, I would still love my child, and try not to pass judgements on them. However, I do feel that I would hope to bring my child up/ raise my child in a manner that they would not have the desire to live a homosexual lifestyle.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:54 am
All-star
All-star

Rosie O' Donnel (sp?) once said when asked what she would do if her adopted kids were gay that she would never wish that on anyone. She is openly gay, but doesn't want her own kids to face the rejection, taunting and displacement that most homosexuals have to encounter on a daily basis. We live in a world that looks down upon homosexuality even though it has been around since the dawn of time. As a parent, I would not want my kids to face any more rejection than normal when growing up. However, if either of my kids or stepkids turn out to be gay, I will love them no less and will openly welcome their partners as long as it is a healthy and loving relationship. By healthy, I mean that both people have an equal say and it is not abusive nor co-dependent.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:17 pm
All-star
All-star

If I had a student that was openly gay, I wouldn't treat them any different. If my own child was gay, thats thier choice and I can't make it for them. I don't think its right and nothing will ever change my opinion, but I could learn to live with it.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:34 am
All-star
All-star

If I had a student or child that was openly gay or lesbian I wouldn't treat them any different either. Just because they are attracted to people of the same sex that doesn't make them any different then people who are attracted to different sex.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is impossible to treat your gay child the same as you would your heterosexual child...and I do not think you should.

A gay child/adult has to face a whole realm of prejudices and obstacles that a heterosexual person does not, something that they need to be prepared to face.
From a parent (and teacher) standpoint, I would need to prepare my child for these obstacles and provide them with enough self-confidence to accept others opinions/ viewpoints and the realization that they are unlike the norm, and that is ok. When you prepare someone for this part of life, the person is more prepared to teach others that it is all right to be different.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:24 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]