View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 understanding diversity 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What can we as teachers do to make children understand diversity and have them see how important it is in the society that we live in today? Do you think that if we had classes to educate students on this it would help keep violence and bullying down in schools?

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I strongly believe that we should have a media literacy class and diversity or lack thereof could be dealt with there. Most teachers have to include diversity in their curriculum, but often it is just done during African American history month or on MLK, Jr. Day. This is something that needs to be taught every day in as many ways as possible. The most important thing we can do is model tolerance and respect. Even if the kids live in prejudiced homes, they will be exposed to tolerance in our classrooms.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:22 pm
All-star
All-star

Like Robin, I believe that teaching acceptance and appreciation by example is important. Then children see it in action, and know we are serious about it. I also think that spending time with diverse people might be the most effective way to develop tolerance. I learned in my sociology class that the more time you spend with people, the more apt you are to like them and feel comfortable with them. Therefore, if you have a variety of ethnicities at your school, maybe it would be good to have people work on community projects together or somthing like that.

Also, instead of presenting diverse people as some hypothetical group, why not present them like everyday people who have a lot in common with us. Bring in guest speakers or books about diverse groups. Take a field trip. Write letters. There are things you can do to present diversity even if you live in a town with predominantly on ethnic group etc.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:17 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]