View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Being Honest to Students 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know we talked about this the other day in class, but I wanted to ask again since not everyone commented on the topic.

Do you feel that honesty is the best policy in the classroom? What if a student came to you and asked you a really tough question and you didn't know whether to tell them the truth or not? Does it matter what age they are the amount you tell them?

Just wondering!!!!!

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:30 pm
All-star
All-star

i am going to teach high school and so i feel that honesty is definitely the best policy. however, i also think that even in elementary school kids should be told the truth (age appropriate version) or at least some form of it. if we lie to our children, what will they think one day when the cold hard truth hits them in the face? our media and government do enough to cover up and suppress vital information, and i believe as educators we have a responsibility to relay the truth to our students who are the future or our country and society. however, with the power of knowledge needs to come responsibility and skepticism. students need to understand not to believe everything they hear and see and question sources. i just learned this crucial information in college and it would have been a helpful hint throughout the rest of my life as well!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:39 am
All-star
All-star

I believe that honesty is best. It may be hard for us to tell the student whether we do not like it or whether the student may not like it. I believe that we need to discuss items that have great controversy surrounding them. Only then can we develop our students' minds to acutely think about the topic being discussed. I think we need to talk about the good and the bad of both sides.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Travis...I think that it is important to incorporate all sides of a story/history, whether it is controversial or not.

Speaking about the Thanksgiving 'truths', we need to examine the traditional holiday activities that teachers/schools conduct around certain holidays. Thanksgiving is a huge topic of discussion for art and elementary teachers; how teachers treat the subject matter needs to promote more respect and truth for the actual history...no more Indian headpieces and pilgrim hats or tables filled with cornucopias...we need to be accurate in our accounts of historical events, even with younger children.
How much to tell different age groups is one thing, but to promote inaccurate accounts of histories is another.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:46 pm
All-star
All-star

As I said in class, I think that the truth should be told to the students. I agree with what everyone has written. We should give both sides of the story and we should be truthfull, but give an age appropriate account. When I was in elementary school, I was told the same lie that most kids are told. In kendergarten, the class dressed up as Pilgrims and Indians. The white kids were all pilgrims and the minority kids were dressed as Indians (how bout that?!) Now that I look back on all of that, it sickens me because I believed all of the lies. Now that I know the truth, it just infuriates me when I hear kids talking about the first thanksgiving and Native Americans in general. I see the efects of this lie all the time and you can bet that I will tell my kids and my students the truth. But, I will leave the job of deciding why this lie was told to them. Either by independent research or by discussion in the class.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:10 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]