View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Foreign Language 
All-star
All-star

In my Block I classes we have talked about having students in our classroom who know little if any English. After our discussions, I have decided that I will try to learn some of the language that my ESL students are familiar with so that instruction can happen. I was wondering if any of you know of some good tools for people like me to learn Spanish or another foreign language?

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:37 am
All-star
All-star

foreign languages are so good to know, especially spanish. i think that the best way to learn a foreign language besides taking classes (which is also a good idea), is to visit a country where the language is spoken. when you totally submerge yourself in a culture, you are hearing, seeing, listening, feeling, and semi-understanding the language in it's original context.
my boyfriend is a social worker in catawba county. he spends about 3 hours a day in his car commuting. he bought spanish lessons on cd and he listens to them in his car. he'll come in speaking spanish, but he also has a foundation already established (2 months in Spain).
any way you find to learn is going to greatly benefit you as a teacher and a student of life.
i hope to learn spanish also in the near future.
i think that as long as we are willing to learn, our futures are limitless!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:18 am
All-star
All-star

Having spent the equivalent of three years in French, I can lend my support to those who teach foreign language. Some people say why French? I can say that if I know French and English, I can talk with 2/3 of the rest of the world. Should I learn some Spanish, I can add about another 1/4 of the world. I believe that actively engaging students in the culture is best way to integrate students into fluently speaking English. The more contact you have with a foreign people group, the more you can use the language and thereby enhance your ability to speak it well.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]