View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Parent Involvment 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Having parents involved with their children's education experience is very important. Although, some parents can take it to the extreme. My health teacher read us an article in class and it was about parents not wanting their kids to be corrected if they were wrong. How do you feel about this?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:10 pm
All-star
All-star

How will students ever gain knowledge or skill if they are not corrected when they are wrong? I'm not sure how you could allow a student to continue doing something wrong, when you know there is a right way? It would be like allowing someone who doesn't know any better to drive on the wrong side of the road, there could definitely severe consequences, eventually a person has to be corrected. Parents need to understand that they way that people learn is to sometimes correct what they are doing wrong. If you are having problems with parents such as in this situation, you may want to reevaluate how you correct the child. Do you yell at them when they are doing something wrong? Is there a better way to discipiline a child's behavior besides yelling at the child? This is definitely a subject to consider and it is very interesting that I have heard that one of the biggest fears of teaching is dealing with the parents!

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:17 am
All-star
All-star

Learning is based on making mistakes. Should we all make the right choices or choose all the right answers, where would that leave us? There would be nothing left of the arts or of creativity in general. Without mistakes learning itself can not take place. It is like your mother telling not to touch a hot eye. Sometimes it takes you touching that hot eye to learn not to touch it. School of hard knocks? Perhaps, but it is reality. When students make a mistake, they must be corrected in the sense of what is known now and leave the rest open to discovery. However, it is the mistakes that make life interesting, it is the medium of learning. I'm sure that Columbus was thought of as a big looney and that he was making a mistake. People tried to correct him, many had good data, but he still would not listen. Mistakes are the method of discovery, but at some level there needs to be a correcting influence, otherwise serial killers would be on the same level as the children touching the hot eye.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/craze4hikn

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I do not have children yet, but I would hope that one day that I would want my children to be corrected if they are doing something wrong. When I was younger, I can remember be corrected for things that I was doing wrong and it made me angry but in the long run, it benefited me, that is why I want my children to be corrected and why I think that children should be corrected.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:56 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]