View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 parent-teacher conferences 
All-star
All-star

I was watching Oprah the other day and it was rewarding America's best teachers. One of the teachers made an effort to meet all of his 3rd grade students before the school year started. He traveled to everyone's homes and met the students and their families. I thought what a great idea-but is this a realistic thing to do? If I had the time I would consider this task, but what a great way to introduce yourself to your new students.
That leads me to my question. Not many teachers choose this path and depend on parent-teacher conferences to discuss the student and his/her performance. But what about the parents who are not involved in their child's live and are not able to meet with the teacher due to transportation and financial reasons? A phone call can be the next option but what if they don't have a phone? Some sort of contact needs to be made with the teacher, so what do you do when these type of circumstances arise?

Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:40 pm
All-star
All-star

In past experiences tutoring at elementary schools I have seen that some teachers have a weekly journal booklet that students take home. In each booklet is listed assignments for that week and comments to the parent about how their child is doing in school and what they could use more practice on at home. Each week the parent is to simply sign the booklet and return it with their child. If the parent wishes, they are encouraged to use this medium as an open dialouge between parent and teacher.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

well i heard about this guy about two years ago and im glad you bring him up- this is what teaching is all about, he goes beyond what people think teaching is. if i have a month and a half off from school during the summer and i calculate that it will take me a month to see all my parents at their houses then im doing it! we have to start thinking outside the box (as they say) to be able to change our students (especially if their headed down a wrong path) we need to push ourselves. its hard work producing a well educated child, and if we arent exahusted at the end of each work day then we arent doing our job!
so i guess what im saying is do whatever it takes to get a child back on the right path- writting home, calling, having dinner with parents, tutorting them at school or even at their house.

No child left behind should be changed to Whatever it takes.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:01 am
All-star
All-star

I think this guy seems very inspirational!! We need more teachers and principals like this in our schools, teachers that go way beyond the call of duty for a child and their family. My mom was a teacher at a very low income school. For the parents that did not have transportion or a phone she would visit their homes if she thought there was a need to talk about their child. She still even gets people in our community to adopt a child at Christmas because they would not have one other wise. My mom and her friends also deliver turkeys on Thanksgiving to the doorstep of childrens homes. We have to go beyond our call of duty and show the kids that we love them and in return they will respect us as teachers and in the classroom.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:53 pm
All-star
All-star

Going beyond our call of duty is something we all should become familiar with as future teachers. We talk of how we don't want to get into the rountine of things (past teachers) and this is a great way to do it. I don't know many teachers at all that would even THINK about going to meet their students and families before the school year started. What a great way to get to know the children that will be stepping foot in your classroom in the fall. I also feel this is a good way for things not to be full of nerves and butterflys on the first day! Does anyone know if the school system has a problem with this?? jUst wondering....

<3 Jennie Ingram

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]