View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 WAR ON IRAQ 
All-star
All-star

I was thinking with all this war talk on television and our country on high alert if we should bring it up in our classrooms. I remember after September 11th my teachers her at ASU didn't really talk much about it. I personally thought it was very important for us to talk about. It was a tragedy that affected us all and I think we should talk about it. But, do you think it is appropriate to talk about the war in Iraq or we should just go on with the curriculum we are directed to teach?

Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I think our teachers should discuss the war in Iraq to some point. It is something that is very important to all of us and could have a profound affect on all of our lives and we need to somewhat stay abreast of the events taking place there. I have noticed some war protesters on King Street and was wondering what other people thought about war protesting, does it do any good here in Boone? or anywhere for that matter? will the powers to be pay any attention to the people protesting? It is a right to stand up for your opinions, but will it really help?

Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:54 am
All-star
All-star

i guess i'mm pretty pessimistic--i do not think the protesting does any good at all (who honestly thinks that will change the path that we're on currently?--we're going to war, no matter what the protestors do). as for talking about these sorts of things in the classroom? i htink the teacher should not pretend as if nothing is happening. i remember on 9-11 that my teachers talked about it in the classroom, we discussed for countless hours if it is something that should be talked about in the classrooms that we wil one day be the head of. even a year afterwards, this last fall, my tachers talked with us about it again. obviously we cannot discuss every horrible detail in the classroom, but with the younger kids, especially, we cannot ignore all of the scary feelings they must be experiencing, the classroom should have somewhat of an open door for them to bring these feelings forward

Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:33 am
All-star
All-star

In a perfect world I would hope that parents would take the time to sit down and talk with their kids about what is going on in the news. I remeber during the Gulf War I would ask my parents questions and they could explain thing to me. I also think that teachers should discuss these current events in class. She/he shoud try to tell the students enough information so that they can have an informed education. Although it is great when a child talks to their parents about these touchy issues it is the teachers responsibility to develop politically aware students.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Molly, I totally agree with you that any war or other tragedy should be discussed in the classroom. Not only should students be aware of what is going on around them, but they should also be able to talk about these scary issues. I remember during the Gulf War that all of my elementary school teachers made an effort to bring up the issue. I just thought I would add one more idea. While war can be a classroom topic, I think that teachers should try extremely hard to stay neutral on the topic. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with this war, I think that the facts should be presented without any bias. Maybe with high school students, you can let them debate and talk about their opinions. However, I don't think that the teacher should be convincing the students either way. We should try hard to let them make their own decisions.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it's up to the teachers to let their children know what's going on in the world. However, I feel that they are consumed by information about the war as it is. Perhaps as teachers, we could help simplify the complicated situation, and try to help them understand, but I don't think we need to make it a constant conversation. For younger children, it may be better for parents to explain the rest of the details.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with caryann. I think that we as teachers should bring it up and give a general knowledge of it. Ultimately i think the parents should talk to the kids in detail.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I am sad to say that I agree with Molly and her feelings of pessimism. I don't know how much affect the recent protests will have on the decision to go to war. I would like to quote from a newspaper article in USA Today.
-"As for the protests around the world by millions of people opposed to war with Iraq, Bush said they were irrelevant to his duty to protect America."---
I guess our decision is made for us.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]