View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 How will you "undo" what parents have already done 
All-star
All-star

I was thinking about the film on segregation and how prejudice plays a huge part in our society. Kids learn these irrational views from their parents. I was wondering how will you as a teacher undo what a parent has already taught the child.
Imagine your first year of teaching and you find out some students have picked up on hate, prejudices, and other various beliefs, what would you suggest to do.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is naive to think that you can undo what a child has been taught at home. So much Sociocultural learning takes place before a child reaches you that this task would be impossible . Freud believed that a personality is fully developed by the age of 5. Few still hold this belief but the implications still exist. I believe that our job as teachers is not to undo anything but to expand horizons, allowing opportunities for further growth, fostering compassion, and thinking critically about thier beliefs and where they came from.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:06 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Lauren in that it's not really up to the thacher to change the beliefs of student's in the classroom. However, I feel that it's important to try to make your students well rounded and as accepting as possible. By teaching about all cultures, participating in multicultural events, and allowing oppertunities for classroom discussion will all contribute to opening up ideas that might not be taught in their homes. :)

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]