View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Crazy Parent's 
All-star
All-star

We all know that at some point - we're going to have a problem with a crazy parent. Ofcorse, we'll probably have problems with normal parents at times, but I'm talking about the disrespectful, CRAZY ones. This weekend I saw a situation with a crazy dad being really mean to his kids basketball coach... and I'm starting to worry a little bit. I guess I'm just asking if you guys have any great ideas on how to handle that type of parent.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:41 pm
All-star
All-star

This is one thing that I worry about with becoming a teacher, too. I mean, I know some parents can be really rough on teachers (or coaches, for that matter). I think that it takes a different approach for any given situation, and we will all probably be better at dealing with parents when the time comes. Plus, teaching is a profession in which you are constantly learning as you go along. I guess that the most important thing to remember when dealing with unruly parents is to remain calm and not let it get you too worked up because maintaining a mature attitude can really help in any situation. I know this isn't really an answer to your question, but I thought I'd just give a few of my ideas. Anybody else have some suggestions to Lindsey's question?

Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I think about dealing with parents alot. I work in a hotel and it really has opened my eyes to how rude people can be. If they can be so hateful to me because there room wasn't to their satisfactory I can't imagine if it is dealing with their child what they may do. I am a person who hates confrontations and do not deal with them very well. I do know that as a teacher we are dealing with 30 or so kids academic future. I am not sure how I will deal with angry parents but i know from working I listen to everything they have to say and be as nice and understanding as my nerves can handle. I think you kind of have to do like Dr. turner said with kids you have to be on there side. We have to be on the parents side and then express how you may feel about the situation and work together. We have to work with the parents and the child to have a healthy classroom. If we show the parents that we care and understand their worries then in most cases I think they will react the same to us as teachers. I don't know, just an idea.

Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well i think the best way to deal with a crazy parent is to treat them like they act. If they act 5 then treat them like they are 5. However, you do have to be carefull not to be disrespectful. Make them think any idea is theirs and then do what you want. If they continue to be disruptful to a violent point, you need to bring in the administration and or police. :twisted:

Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Dealing with parents has also been a fear of mine. I am not very good at dealing with conflict and I always try to avoid it. I am going to try everything to keep parents involved and try to work with them anyway i can, but i still know that there are those people who just like conflict and problems. I hope that I get lucky and have good parents but if i get really "crazy" ones i think i will follow hank's advice and call in administration to be present.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Crazy parents is a big thing to fear and try and prepare for but a lot of times the "crazy parents" don't know the whole side of the story, they just automatically blame the teacher because of the amount of time the child does spend with the teacher. So if something comes up of course they are going to go straight to the teacher and yell or whatever. But in a way I agree with Hank that you should treat them how they act. But I don't feel in any way should you back down and let them walk all over you. I think it's best to try and talk to them calmly but if they are still trippin I gotta go with Hank again, get someone else involved!!

<3 Jennie Ingram

Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:43 pm
All-star
All-star

The only thing that I know to do to defend against "crazy parents" is to stick to your guns and know what you're talking about. As long as you have the students' best interest in mind and proof that you were trying to accomplish your task, then you can't be held in fault. Hank and Jennie are right though, if you get in over your head, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Hank, if parents act like they are 5 treat them like they are 5. You must use as much tact and respect towards them as possible when doing so though. If a parent gets too crazy, I would agree with the idea of getting administrative help with the problem. I want to try and never get myself in a bad parent situation, but I am quite sure it will happen. You can only make the best out of every situation and that is what I plan to do. The learning progressions of the child and/or your students is the main idea and should always be number one with you, the parent, and of course the student. :roll:

Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]