View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 a little inspiration 
All-star
All-star

I just wanted to share a really great story that an education major in another class told this morning. It made me tear up, and hopefully it will give you a little incentive to want to teach. There are so many negatives being thrown at us everyday that I thought a positive would be helpful. Anyway, the story was that this girl in my class tutored elementary special ed students when she was in middle school. One year she was assigned to one boy who not only could not read at all but was also a discipline problem. I believe she said he was in the fourth grade. So, everyday she would attempt to teach him, and everyday he would declare how much he hated reading and do anything but listen to her. She said that she could tell he had picked up on some stuff, but he refused to really show her how much he could read. At the end of the year, the school had a special program at which the boy actually read a very simple poem. The girl in my class was already impressed by this. Then, the boys' parents came up to her and thanked her for making such a difference in their life and their son's life. She didn't understand exactly what the big deal was until they told her that the boy had actually taught them to read through what she had been teaching him! How incredible is that? :!: I just wanted everybody to hear that and I was hoping that maybe y'all have some other really good stories. If you do, please share them.

Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]