View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What I don't look forward to when becoming a teacher! 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This goes along with Brian's topic, but looks more at the undesired side of our future job.

I had an internship yesterday and it really brought up an issue that I think will really upset me when I become a teacher. I learned that a child that is in the class that I help out with has a cleft palette. The cleft palette causes his speech to be off and it is hard for him to sound out some sounds. Someone in the area offered to give the student surgery to correct this free of charge. The mother of the child didn't want to do this and said things like, I don't want him put to sleep and his mouth is still growing. At first I thought that, maybe this parent is concerned with things like this and I didn't think much of it. Then I found out that another reason she didn't want her son to have this surgery is because he would know longer be classified as disabled. This meant she wouldn't receive as much tax relief and she wouldn't get the disability wellfare check that she receives from the government. I was horrified when I heard this. The teachers in the school are trying to find other ways to help him out aside from surgery. I just worry that I am going to have parents who aren't going to look at things like this and see that their children need help. The teachers in the school told me that the other students accept him, but when he gets to high school they are affraid that the constant teasing is going to cause him to drop out. Do any of you have any other ideas on what a teacher could do in a situation like this?

Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:46 am
All-star
All-star

Joel, I think this is really a sad situation for the child. I have heard of other similar situations, though maybe not as severe. I know a lady I went to church with had a son who was mentally handicapped, and she refused to have him put in special ed. All the little kids in his classes make fun of him now, and he is really far behind. I wish I could tell you exactly what I would do in that situation, but that is a tough one. The only idea I can add is that maybe there are some other family members around that could be consulted. Is the father around? Or maybe there are grandparents, aunts, or uncles? Possibly one of these people could either convince the mother or take the matter into their own hands. Obviously, since the mother has custody over the boy, he word is the final answer. However, maybe someone else in her family could get through to her.

Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:52 pm
All-star
All-star

That is really horrible!! AHHH that really upsets me that the parents don't want to get the surgery just because if she does she won't get the benefits. GRR I think the mother needs to be sat down and talked some sense into. Because apparently it doesn't seem like she is looking out at all for the best interest of her child. If money and finances are the issue I really think something can be done. Just because the child will have had surgery they aren't going to quit providing special education services. Hm this is a tough one..what do others think about this?? I'm intersted in hearing your thoughts and ideas.

<3 Jennie Ingram

Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a friend who received dozens of opporations as a child to correct this deformation. She tells me that although it was rough to go through as a young child, she is so happy that her mother did this for her. I can't believe that a parent would do this to their child. I don't know what you could do in a situation such as this.

Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a rough situation!! I honestly don't know what i would do. Well, what i would want to do is take that child and have the surgery done, but i don't think that would be very legal. :) Dealing with parents is by far my worst fear as a teacher. I have seen from experience how some parents can be so selfish. I wish someone would have the answers on how to deal with problems like these. Until we find someone i guess we will always have things like this to look forward to.

Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:50 pm
All-star
All-star

This is terrible. The mother definatley needs to have some sense talked into for sure. The child is too young to make the decision for himself, so a responsible decision must be made on the part of the parents. You cannot force them into anything though. This is a tough one! Maybe go to your principal and see what he or she thinks? Once again, a parental conference would be first on the list.

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]