View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 September 11th t-shirt 
All-star
All-star

I know I have already wrote about the Sept. 11th attacks but I was just looking on the CNN news website and found an interesting article. It was talking about an eighth grader in Chicago Ridge, Illinois. He is suspended from school for wearing a t-shirt with two twin towers drawn on it with a plane flying through them. There is a bearded man with a head dress also on the shirt. The lebanese eighth grader says he is wanting his fellow classmates to understand that he and his Arab friends had nothing to do with the attacks. He says that everywhere he goes that they are called camels. The superintendent of the school system says it is a promotion of terroism. What do you think? How would you deal with this if this child walked into your classroom?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:45 pm
All-star
All-star

If this child were in my classroom, I would probably have a discussion right away of acceptance of others. I would also share with the class some details about Sept 11 that would clear up the misunderstanding that all Arab-looking people are bad. We could have an open discussion with some rules to let this boy make his statement. I would tell him that this is a better way to promote acceptance of people from Arab backgrounds.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]