View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 STEREOTYPES 
All-star
All-star

Since the article that we're reading for tomorrow is about stereotypes, I thought we could have a web discussion about some of those types of issues. The article is mostly about racial stereotyping, but we did an activity in my Adolescent Literature class that I wanted to share.

My professor wanted to show us an activity that we might be able to do with students to open their eyes to stereotypes that they may not have realized. She handed out a notecard to everyone in our class and said that we were to write down a "Just because I..." statement on it. And, it could be anything about ourselves. For example, mine was: "Just because I'm from the North, doesn't mean that I have anything against Southerners or different aspects of their culture." There was also a pregnant woman in my class who said, "Just because I'm an unwed mother, doesn't mean I'm trash." Then, we went around the room and said them out loud, one-by-one. After we stood up and read ours, we walked to the center of the room and threw the notecard in the trashcan in a symbolic gesture to dispel the stereotype that we felt had been placed upon us as individuals.

After the activity, we talked about how this activity made us feel and how we felt it might work in a classroom. We were all very moved by the experience. It brought us closer together as a class and made us think about some of the stereotypes that we had unconsciously placed on each other. Do you think that these things can be discussed in our classrooms, or do you think that some issues are simply too touchy for our students? At what levels do you think this type of sharing would be appropriate? AND, do you think that it's necessary to alert our students to these types of issues? Why or why not :?:

Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]