View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 What elective would you teach? 
All-star
All-star

Since many of us are going to be elementary teacher i thought this question was appropriate. If you could teach any elective (art, music, drama, PE, library, computer, and/or Spanish), what would you choose and why?

Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:51 pm
All-star
All-star

When I become an elementary school teacher and if I have the opportunity to teach an elective, I would teach art probably. I took art electives through elementary, middle and high school and loved all of them. I remember making pottery for my mom, painting for my dad and making wall-hangings for my room. I absolutely loved art, and it was fun to experiment with all of the mediums. I think that children have a natural artistic and creative side that elementary school should nurture and help grow. Plus there is so much potential to integrate art into the regular curriculum and vice versa.

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I would teach music, mainly because of the extensive background I have in the subject. I hope to use music in my classroom, and I love to see a younger child's face light up when they dance and sing and don't even realize that they're learning! All of the arts are so important; I wish that the high-up people that decide to cut out arts programs could see that as well.

Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:06 pm
All-star
All-star

Even though I am a special education teacher if I was able to teach an elective I would most def. have to go with ART!!! I am a very creative person and I love expressing myself, so I think it would be a joy to teach art to younger children. I also feel art is a very important outlet for kids to explore their feelings as well as their creative sides! 8)

<3 Jennie Ingram

Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I would probably teach art. It is such an important thing for everyone to learn and be exposed to. I have heard a terrible rumor that art and music are going to be cut out of the curriculum for students. I personally think this is outrageous. Therefore, I would teach art to help show and teach the several benefits and importances of art in our curriculum. :)

Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I would probably teach art. It is such an important thing for everyone to learn and be exposed to. I have heard a terrible rumor that art and music are going to be cut out of the curriculum for students. I personally think this is outrageous. Therefore, I would teach art to help show and teach the several benefits and importances of art in our curriculum. :)

Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you guys I think Art and Music are very important in the school system. I though personally am terrible at both of those areas. I enjoy them very much but do not think I would be a very good art or music teacher. I am pretty good at computers and typing though. I think this is very important for children to be exposed to and we need instructors helping our students learning as much as they can about computers because that is what our future is all going to be revolved around. Not only would it be a learning experiece for the children but for myself as well!

Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i would definetely choose music. i guess this is because i love music and have had a background in music. the other electives i don't know much about, but i also think that music is fun and something that isn't hard. i am taking intro to creative musicianship right now and some of the activities we do in class i plan on sharing with my students.

Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:00 pm
All-star
All-star

With a little more practice, I would LOVE to teach Spanish. I absolutly love the language and think it would be so fun to teach it to little kids. I remember so many specific things that happened in my elem spanish classes that were so fun. Who knows, If I ever have time, it would be fun to do a little of that in my own classroom. :P

Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:07 pm
All-star
All-star

i agree with everybody that the arts are so important--it would be such a shame to cut these programs from the curriculum, but the truth is that they are the first to go when it comes to budget cuts :cry: i will be teaching art, but if i could teach one of the other electives, it would definitely be drama--i've never participated in a more fulfilling project than putting on a play. there's nothing like all of the hard work that goes into the preparation until the day it all pays off and you put on the performance. i'd recommend drama as an experience that everyone should try out before the graduate high school.

Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:46 am
All-star
All-star

If I get the chance to teach an elective and I remain in this part of the country, I think it would be science. The outdoors have always been a big part of my life and I think I could be effecient at teaching something dealing with living plants and animals and use our beautiful surroundings as an aid of some sort. :lol:

Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:38 am
All-star
All-star

I know it sounds nerdy, but I really love reading. I think if I had to choose an elective, it would be library. I really remember loving my library time in elementary school. Our entire class would sit in the little group center and listen to the librarian read. Then, we got to choose a new book for the week. I would love to share that with children. I seriously considered this instead of being an elementary school teacher, but it remains just a plan b.

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If I could teach one of the above mentioned electives, it would definately be P.E. I would choose this because I love sports and I think it would be therapeutic. I have never had a medium that can release stress the way athletic competition does. Some people might think that only the really athletic students would benefit from this, but there is more to sports than just athletic ability. I am a pretty good athlete for my size due to pretty good agility, but mainly because of the puzzle aspect of sports. If you use your brain while playing sports it can even the field for you and it makes it that much more fun trying to figure out a way to beat your opponent. I would especially like the outdoor activities, because sometimes being confined indoors seems to slow my brain down, I don't know maybe it's the lack of fresh air or something. :shock:

Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I would want to teach music because there is a lot of fun things children can do with music. Also, if you teach a child a song about an important subject they will remeber the information for a long time. Music is an uplifting source of personal expresion, both instrumental and vocal.

Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]