View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Beyond the Guilt Trip 
All-star
All-star

I was wondering what you all's reaction to the following quote is from the Marc Elrich article "The Stereotype Within". At the bottom of page 416 Elrich wrote, "Confronting the effects of racism in our society begins with white Americans, not because we are guilty, but because our social group alone has the resources and political power to make change possible." What do you all think of this statement?

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Even though the WASP (white anglo-saxon protestant male) is not the majority of the population, we are still in controll of the bulk of the power. It is up to us to take the initative to begin the change. No matter how hard we try not to be prejudice or a racist, when a black person cuts you off on the street you think of that word. Now for the rest of whatever when i see a n Arab taking pictures or flying on a plane I may think terrorist. Is it wrong, yes. But it is human nature. And this is not a perfect world so it will not be changed easily.

Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the only thing that could improve race relations in the United States is stop living segregated. Busing has tried to force kids to be together, and race relations have dramatically increased, but at end of the day they still go home to seperate sides of town, and live seperate ways of life. It is misunderstanding that creates negative stereotypes and stereotypes that create prejudice. How can we live together? I am not a city planner but I believe attempts at inner city revitalization without alienating its current population would be beneficial to all. It should include community greenspaces and gardens to increase the moral of those who live there and attract others into the area. This could only happen if the dominant power would be willing to allocate the resources (money) to such a venture. In response to the previous reply I do not think it is human nature, but individual nature, to be tempted to call an African Americans a nigger if they cut you off in traffic, that sounds like racism to me. Why not just a bad driver?

Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Lauren you made some great points. But why just the White race? Should other races just step to the side and wait for these issues to be fixed? I feel that all individuals of all races need to help out in this effort. What is done is done and is apart of American History. Lets live in the present and mend the segregation together.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Megan! It seems that the American society always looks to the whites that need to change racism and stop being racist. But, I think all races must stop the segregation. We have to work together for things to get better and the stereotypes to fade away. We as teacher have to promote equality but teachers are not the only ones that can do the work. America is changing everyday and we all need to join in to make segregation diminish.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]