View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Art in the curriculum: beneficial or a waste of time? 
All-star
All-star

I have heard that music and art were being questioned as to whether or not these two subjects should be taught in schools. Have any of you heard the same or have any information about it??? Personally, I think it is so important for students to have these subjects as a form of expession. I also think it is important for students to learn about and appreciate art and music throughout time. Music and art have contributed to many positive things such as relaxation and therapy. I was in Ashville last week and I was walking through a gallery and found something interesting. There was a beautiful drawing for sale that was created by a young boy who had severe learning disabilities. He could not communicate very well verbally. However, he expressed himself and communicated with others through his drawings and paintings. Where would he be if art was not accepted or appreciated in the classroom??

Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:45 pm
All-star
All-star

Education is not entirely about an academic focus. There's a part of education that find it necessary for kids to become passionate about something, and the arts are a way to do it. The arts are a wonderful stress reliever in the middle of a hectic day, and they have also been proven to raise test scores and help alleviate behavior problems for the children who engage in those activities. Think of all of the children who may excell in the arts and need that comfort zone; would you take that away? So, if someone says that they're not important, they really need to look again.

Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is ridiculous for them to take the arts out of school (or even think of it). I feel that the arts are an important part of schooling and an outlet for kids to explore their creative side. Why would we even think about taking away something that so many kids are good at and actually look 4ward to. :x

<3 Jennie Ingram

Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it would be tragic to take away art and music. Some kids use those subjects just like others use PE for a release. Art is everything and everywhere. Kids relate to music and love to have it incorporated in lessons. if one day they are taken out, I want to intergrate that as much as possible.

Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:09 am
All-star
All-star

I think it is a shame that art, along with many other "extra" classes are being taken out of schools. Different kinds of students need different kinds of classes. I think music, drama, art, library and physical education should all be a part of a child's education. Curriculums are becoming so centered around facts and tests that I believe that providing a well-rounded education is being compromised.

Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]