View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Homework or no homework 
All-star
All-star

Hey!! What do yall think about giving homework? Do you think it is a good home reinforcement or do you think when kids go home they should have their time for themselves away from school? :D

Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it's so important to just be a kid! My goodness, these guys are in school for like 7 hrs a day. I think that some homework must be given to help them practice on things, or learn about new ideas through projects. BUT- I think it needs to be kept at a minimum and certainly no homework on the weekends for elementary kids, unless they are working on a previous project or something.

Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

well as a student i absolutely hate homework, however, i do think that in some circumstances it is neccessary. as a teacher you are expected to teach so many things and we are only allowed so much time in a day. So i think that sometimes it is very helpful to give the students homework so that they can grasp better what was taught since there isn't much time. math especially is a subject that i think should have some homework with it, b/c practice makes perfect with math.

Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Laura, I still can't stand a lot of homework :D . One thing I'll throw out is something that I heard in high school from one of my favorite teachers. She said that she only gives as much homework to equal the student's age plus 5 minutes. For example if a student is 10 years old, they should only get 15 minutes of homework per night. I think that time is for all of the student's homework. I do agree that students should not have so much homework that they aer unable to go outside and play; because playing is a vital part of development as well. My two cents :)

Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with everyone else. I also think that we can be creative in assigning homework that will make them want to do it. Maybe it would have to do with journaling about 15 minutes of free time. I hate the idea of assigning 30+ minutes of reading, though, because once that starts to happen, kids stop loving reading. If homework is assigned, maybe we could assign it at the beginning of the week and let them turn it in at their own pace over the week. Starting early on, kids' lives get busy, and they shouldn't be punished for not having the time to do loads of homework in one night. That would also stress them out and cause them to stay up really late, which isn't the intent of homework. However, kids of all ages should still have time to be kids; I wish that some of our teachers in college would apply that philosophy to us! :wink:

Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree about minimal homework! We do have the kids the larger majority of the day, and if they can do the problems in class, why do they need to do 50 more at home? Usually, parents end up doing most of the work. I know i will try not to assign too much homework especially on fridays.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:44 pm
All-star
All-star

the best kind of homework i have ever been given was not drilling what we did in class that day, but it was a preview of the next day's class. so that we could acquaint ourselves with material, form our opinions and whatnot, and then discuss it and go into greater depth.

oh and i agree with everyone else, light load=happier students, happier students=better school

Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

Every student or classroom is different and I think that using homework should be different to. Instead of assigning worksheet why not encourage students to spend extra time learning something new, from a book or the news or another resource. Students could do an experiment at home and then tell the class what they learned. I think homework is a good way to involve parents and a teacher should consider how to do this. I think there a re a lot of things to consider when assigning homework.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with caryann on this one. I think that you can assign homework but dont make it reading out of a book. I know that kids do not enjoy reading out of the class book. If there is anyway that we can assign them things that get them out in the community or get things from magazines, tv or other things that tie to class then both the student and teacher can benefit.

Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:33 am
All-star
All-star

I understand that homework is necessary sometimes, but I think it should definitly be limited. Students should be able to have lives outside of school and enjoy their time. Think of it this way: do you really want all kinds of work to take home after a full day of teaching? It's the same thing with homework. Also, the amount of homework should be directly related to age. Kinders and first graders are too young to have homework, but sadly they often do. Education is great, but there are other ways of getting an education than a child sitting in his room, looking at books and papers.

Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]