View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Parents leaving kids 
All-star
All-star

With war just around the corner many parents will be leaving their kids at home as they travel over seas. Whether it will be the dad or mom or maybe even both parents that will be leaving how will that affect the kids. If we were teachers in the schools right now how would you handle a kid that came up to you and asked if they were going to get to see their parent again and were struggleing with why the parent left?

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:37 am
All-star
All-star

That would be a difficult thing to try and help a young person deal with. The prospect of war is so confusing to me as an adult, I could not imagine it as a child. I guess the answer would be to provide as much support for the student and give them as much inspiration and hope as possible that their parent or parents will make it home safely. :?

Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:45 am
All-star
All-star

There was a similar situation to this in my second grade classroom, the only difference being that it was the child's uncle who was in the Gulf War. However, there was one activity that we did that could also be carried over to helping a child whose parent is gone. All the kids in our class made cards and wrote letters to the child's uncle. I think this made her feel a little better, that maybe she was helping in some way. And I'm sure that her uncle appreciated the tokens from home as well. Also, one other suggestion would be to maybe have the child in question talk to a school counselor. Maybe they could offer some assistance, as well as your own.

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:20 pm
All-star
All-star

This could be hard to deal with both as a teacher and child. Even though their parent is off a war, i guess the best we could do is to remain positive and offer encouragement. When i was in the 3rd grade several relatives of students were in the Gulf War, so we placed patriotic ribbons on the tree outside our classroom to remind us of them each day.

Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:10 pm
All-star
All-star

This is a great question for me, since I want to teach in the Fort Bragg School System. I think that letter writing, especially, is a great idea, because it helps alleviate some of the pain while accomplishing class objectives. I feel as if creating a positive class atmosphere is extremely important for a child who has relatives overseas, and the more they realize that they are cared about by their teachers and classmates, the more they may feel open to talking about their feelings.

Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]