View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 teacher's assistants 
All-star
All-star

I don't know how it went at your elementary schools, but at mine we had full-time teacher's assistants until the fourth grade. Now, however, they are considering cutting back A LOT on teacher's assistants. I was wondering what you guys thought about this cut? I know that my old teacher's assistants did a lot of work and really helped out the teacher. Since I'm hoping to teach kindergarten, I was expecting to have an assistant. I think it's crazy to get rid of extra help when so much more is expected of younger students with every year. Do y'all think this will have a negative impact on students and/or teachers? I would really like your thoughts.

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:39 pm
All-star
All-star

For sure! I totally think having ateachers aid is important. For example who will watch the class if a student gets hurt, if the teacher gets sick, has to go to the bathroom, or another emergency. You can't leave young children by themselves! Also the children get more attention from a teacher and I believe that this will help them in their learning. If they have aquestion and the teacher is busy they may have to wait a few min. If they can ask an aid they can get back to work more quickly. I hope that I will be able to spend a few min. helping a each child in my class idividually on a regular basis. I could do this much more easily if I had a teachers aid. The list goes on and on...

Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

even though im not going to be a elem teacher i thought id give you my thoughts
think about this ... when im teaching my hs classes ill get (if in block -4 classes a day) one and a half hour planning period!!!
and have only 3 classes to teach

also

i cant believe these politicans (im a poly sci major) you wouldnt believe how little of the actual work they do (we should be cutting all their assistants out of the budget)! they have assistants left and right while they go smile and dance and eat at balls to get re-elected. I was one of these assistants my soph year with my cousin in DC for Bob Nye - granted they do alot but not as much as their assistants.
same thing with lawyers and family dr. ( my aunt is a dr so i know a little about this too) the nurses do alot of the work!

i hope you guys get the help you need and deserve because everybody else does!

mamaya!
Brian

Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I think teacher assistants can be very useful for elementary teachers. I feel that it would work out well to work with another adult each day. Although what if you do not share the same teaching ideas and have a conflict of personality....then you might wish it was just you, the lead teacher, in the classroom.

Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I think an assisstant is a great idea. At my elementary we had an assistant until 4th grade also, and it helped to have more one on one help. It is a little scary to think i will have 15-20 little lives in my hand everyday, I am sure i will welcome with open arms ANY kind of helper! :D

Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:13 am
All-star
All-star

I have to go with heather on this one. I would love to have an assistant to help out with the students. It will be hard to keep up with every student all of the time espically since i will be a PE teacher. I think the assistant is a great idea espically for the elementary level.

Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]