View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Best Group discussion forum, members only 
All-star
All-star

This thread is for exam discussion by The Best Group, you know who you are 8)

Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:09 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

This question I had to handle is from the "Ollie Taylor's Story" reading we had to do. She asks for a definition for tracking and ability grouping. On page 128 the author defines ability grouping as having several forms which sort children into different learing environments. She expands some more on this idea by saying that tracking is some what of a form of ability grouping. Other examples of ability grouping are given also. Next, the effects of ability grouping were covered. Be back in a second, gotta change computer labs.

Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:54 am
All-star
All-star

Where was I, the author next explained how ability grouping effects not only minority students, but all students in schools today. They discussed a study that (National Longitudinal Study) examined eighth grade students and the effects of ability grouping on them. Students in the low track performed signifigantly worse than did the similar low achievers in untracked schools on composite and core subject achievement tests. They correlated being placed in the low track in the eighth grade to having the door slammed on college right then. It was explained how Ollie Taylor had low self esteem and low track students have this same problem. Some of the outcomes of ability grouping at all instructional levels are:
1) students in low ability groups are exposed to substaintially less material and to lower quality instruction than are students in middle or high ability groups
2) students in low ability groups are likely to be exposed to more basic level skills than are students in mid or high groups
3) low achievers in tracked settings are exposed to less content and to lower level content than similarly low achieving students in mixed ability classes - you don't have to slow down your curriculum for lower achievers, they can at times benefit from the same richer and faster paced curriculum offered to the top track.
The effects of ability grouping and achievment has many different sides. pro's and con's. The ones mentioned in the text were:
Pro's:
1. grouping is necessary to individualize instruction for students and accomadate their diverse needs
2. low achievers in hetergenous classes would slow down the progress of high achievers
3. high achievers benefit from challenge and example of other high achievers
Con's
1. the negative affect of practice on low achievers
2. denying low achievers access to high quality instruction
3. the practice undermines the principle of equity and fairness in our society

*Parallellism between the two- the progrouping arguement is primarily concerned with effectiveness, while the anti grouping arguement is primarily concerned with equity and democratic values.

* There is general agreement that ACCELERATION programs are effective. This only applys to 3-5% of all students though.

I will post some more info. for you all some time later. My stomach is growling. This gets me pretty close to finshing the research for question 8.

Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Hey guys! Good work, Don!!! I'm really sorry that I haven't had a chance to work on the midterm yet- I've been crazy busy today. But, I'll see you guys in class tomorrow! :D

Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Hey BEST GROUP! woo hoo...Just wanted to let you all know that I will be working on the midterm 2marro and will send my stuff via email..but I will let u all know when it's ready!! Pray for our country and I'll see yal 2marro in class!! :lol:

<3 Jennie Ingram

Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

look at this group all organized and getting stuff done!
just wanted to let you guys (and lovely ladies) that ill have my stuff to you by saturday afternoon at the latest!
hope each of you do well on the exam and hope i helped you out!
pray for the WHOLE WORLD! iraq and the usa

mamaya!

Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:20 pm
All-star
All-star

<3 Jennie Ingram

Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:20 pm
All-star
All-star

Hey guys, I'm really sorry that I haven't emailed you yet. I'm not a slacker, I swear! The essay questions are a little bit more complicated, and I finally have time to work on them now that it's the weekend. I'll have it to you as soon as I can!

Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:02 pm
All-star
All-star

i'm not going to get a chance to work on mine until tonight after 8, because i have tech for the dance show all day :(

but i was looking over it a little last night before my show and i was wondering if the difference between schooling and education is in the book, or if it was a class discussion?

Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:43 am
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

I will send everyone the rest of the information on #8, and then #7 this afternoon. Be looking for my email after lunch. I am going to put all of the info. together tonght. How long are you all giving each question? Like length wise? Have a great day!
Don

Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]