View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Black and White? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This will not be a long post. I really just want to pose a question. Deep down inside, how many of us are scared that their prejudices will come out in our classrooms. I am terrified. We do not live in a "perfect world" were you dont have any prejudices, everybody has some skelleton in the closet. It may not be black or white, despite popular belief this is not the only prejudice in this country. What will you, we, do if and when our prejudice sufaces. :?

Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:21 pm
All-star
All-star

Hank, this is a wonderful question because it really makes you pause and reflect upon yourself and your own faults. I think that being a teacher really puts you in the limelight and everything you say could be held against you. I think it is really important for teachers to be able to admit that they are wrong and to openly apologize for wrong doing. I think that there are so many who believe that they aren't prejudiced because they are not racists. I think it's important for everyone to understand that everyone holds prejudices, but that doesn't mean that everyone is a racist. I think that people probably don't even realize that they hold so many prejudices inside. It is important for people to recongnize the prejudices that they hold and deal with them as they are realized.

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:53 pm
All-star
All-star

This is something that I too worry about. I was brought up in a very prejudice atmosphere as a child, everyone has to some extent. I believe that it is a good sign if you are merely aware of this. It becomes dangerous when you are a person who doesn't realize that you are being prejudiced. :wink:

Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:22 am
All-star
All-star

I agree it is important for us to recognize our prejudices, because we can't do anything about them until we understand that they are there. I think that it's a tough question to answer "what I would do" because I really don't think I would know until I was placed in that situation. But I hope that by the time I enter into the teaching field I will have enough knowledge and experience to handle any prejudice that may arise.

<3 Jennie Ingram

Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]