View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 media coverage and the war 
All-star
All-star

since we've been talking about media and its effects, i was wondering how you all feel about the 24-7 news coverage of the war in iraq...images of the late night bombings in Baghdad, images of soldiers helping get the wounded out of camps and battle scenes on stretchers, photos of missing and dead american soldiers, interviews with former POWs (i actually saw katie couric interviewing a female general who was a former POW, and katie asked her to describe the forms of torture she was put through, including sexual assaults) inquiring about their past experiences as prisoners under iraqi control...
it is important to be informed about what is going on with "Operation Iraqi Freedom"; i'm finding it difficult myself to turn off the tv and radio. so, are the images and reportings too much information? or is this information overload really what we need to know? what do you all think?

Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:29 am
All-star
All-star

personally, i don't like hearing about it all the time, but it is definitely necessary that we be informed of what is going on....even though much of the news is one sided and filtered. i think as individuals we should control how much we watch, so that we don't get desensitized or even propagandized (that's not a word, but you know what i mean). if you want to read about things from another perspective, check out the url i pasted below. it's from a guy who lives in baghdad....a good representative of how many people probably feel over there, he doesn't like saddam, but he also doesn't want war to be waged in his home city.

http://dear_raed.blogspot.com/

Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:04 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

Personally, Molly, I think this 24-7 coverage has really got me down! Just like you, I can't seem to turn it off! Everytime I come home, I immediately turn it to FOX news or CNN or MSNBC to see what crazy things have happened today. I feel like I did after September 11. I think it is important to stay informed but it is also vey depressing. :cry:

Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:08 am
All-star
All-star

Unfortunately war is a part of life. It is a horrible thing. I had watched a lot of the war coverage at first but now I have decreased what I watch. It is crazy how they have coverage of some really dangerous situation. I think it kind of makes the war seem like a movie. It is distanced from us and we can grow calloused to what is really going on. I can also imagine that it would be really hard for the families of the soldiers to see these scenes. I agree it is important to stay informed but I think the news stations have gone too far.

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]