View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 sexuality in the classroom 
All-star
All-star

Hey guys since we talked about gender and sexuality today I just wondered what you all would do if you had a student that was homosexual. How would you handle it as a teacher to make everyone comfortable in the environment and deal with any issues that may cause problems (such as name calling etc)?

<3 Jennie Ingram

Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well I would not allow name calling of any kind in my classroom. I would also try not to let it become an issue in my classroom. I think if a student lets his/her sexual life out in class this is not appropriate either. As a teacher it is our responsability to make the learning environment as comfortable as can be, for homosexuals AND heterosexuals.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:23 pm
All-star
All-star

i think the distinction between homosexual and heterosexual should be de-emphasized in the classroom, and everywhere else actually. i have a brother who can't stand to be around gay males because he thinks they are all going to try to grab his butt or something when he walks by. but the odds of a gay male being attracted to him are equal to, maybe even less than the odds of random females being attracted to him.

if you have an openly gay student and a student who is openly anti-gay, i wonder if it would work to have them work on some kind of project together. it would be awesome if they could do a project on how everyone is ok no matter what his or her sexual preference is, but this would most likely be completely unrelated to the flow of the class. but i know from personal experience that i have broken down stereotypes when i've been forced to work/talk with someone.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Kirk. I think if maybe they were allowed to work on a project, maybe knowing they had to get a grade out of, would help them to open up and see eachother for their own uniqueness. I also agree with Hank about having it de-emphasized as well. Sexual preferences of either kind should not be an issue in the classroom.

Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]