View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teachers being honest 
All-star
All-star

I have a story to tell that I believe is one of the most upsetting stories I have ever heard of anything that has been done to a student by a teacher. I have a roomate who is from Philadelphia, and was attending 7th grade (I believe, 7th or 8th) during the time of the gulf war. She and some of her friends had feelings against the war and wanted to do something about it. Being so young, she only knew what she had seen on TV (Wonder Years, other shows that took place during other international conflicts, what ideas her parents had given her, and some personal ideas of her own, among other outside infuluences) about WAR and was aware that she had family members and friends involved in the conflict that was taking place during the present time. She and her friends wanted to do some sort of protest or walkout and show their feelings against war, and her teacher caught wind of it. The teacher informed them that there was going to be a parade that weekend protesting the war and they could bring signs with friends who were in the war's name on them and what ever other types of signs they wanted and do things the right way - not getting in trouble. :lol: She and her friends had her mother drive them to where the parade was to take place and dropped them off. They had signs with people who were in the gulf's name on them and other signs that persuaded people to use a more peaceful end to this horrible problem. Once the class was situated on an apple art provided by one of the students parents for the kids to ride and positioned to take part in the parade, they all stood up and held their signs proudly, chanting words of peace. She noticed the people in front of her and behind her were yelling USA, and lots of pro war comments. Everyone on the sidewalks were doing the same thing. Next she noticed the float in front of them had a giant missle on it, with the words "To Saddam with Love." This convinced her that this parade had nothing to do with peace. She had been tricked by a teacher who was pro war, and had lied to this group of people to get them to support his point of view. He had been very open in class about his pro war feelings. Needless to say, as soon as the apple cart stopped and she could exit she jumped off and ran to her mothers car in tears. This is something she has never forgotten, and I think is terrible on the part of the lying teacher. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, even in 7th grade. This definately sheds bad light on teachers for sure. I think honesty is a virtue teachers (everyone) must possess. Also, it gives a feeling of distrust from her towards teachers in the future. Bad all together to me. :?

Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:26 am
All-star
All-star

This is an awful story, but one that we all need to hear to reinforce the fact that honesty can help our relationships with our students grow. On the flip side, it shows that being dishonest can scar a student for life! Thanks for sharing this heart-wrenching story with us, Don.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that the teacher wronged the student by lying to her. He was not modeling good behaviors for his students! I think instead of lying to her he should have talked to her about her feelings and about things she could do to be a good citizen and voice her feelings. These students are old enough that they can discuss these issues in class and discuss what role they each play in their nation.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]