View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What battles do you fight? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What's up ya'll? This is more of a survey question than a topic, but I would like to know what battles in the classroom are important to tackle?
Do you call out the girls who are passing notes? Or maybe you jump all over the guy who is sleeping on his desk. I would just like to know what you all think is important and what can be over looked.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:26 pm
All-star
All-star

i had a teacher today who tackled the problem of excess talking during a video by telling us to pass notes. it was so odd i laughed out loud when she said it. but to me it seems like a logical choice...either way those students aren't going to pay attention, so let them do it in a way that does not distract others...as long as they aren't throwing the notes across the room, or passing them down a long line of other students.

but i've never really thought about what battles i would really fight in the classroom. maybe this is just semantics here, but i don't look at it as fighting anything, really, to me the best solution is to redirect any hostility, aggression, or plain resistance into something constructive. like if students want to talk during a video, tell them to pass notes back and forth about certain things involving the video itself, but make it something funny and interesting. maybe that's not such a good choice, but i think you know what i'm shooting for.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

That is a good question. I think about the whole note passing, lay the grounds down that the information they miss might show up later so they will be missing out. I know for sure I would not want to read the whole note in front of the class. As for sleeping, i think it would depend on the situation of the child. If it became an everyday issue then i would have him or her be the helper to get up and move around to stay awake better. I am not so sure how i will handle a child being disrespectful to me or another student. I think that will definately get under my skin faster than anything, or if i see or hear someone making fun of another child. I guess i will have to be in that situation to find out how i will react. I do know i better take some time out before i fit the punishment to the crime so to speak.

Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]