View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Quest speaker (3/27) 
All-star
All-star

I was just curious about what everyone thought about our guest speaker today (3/27). What did you learn that will be useful in the future?

Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:55 pm
All-star
All-star

Personally, I really enjoyed having Scott come and talk in our class on Thursday. I think the homosexuality issue is one that is too often ignored in schools. I think being an open person is necessary for all teachers and I hope that when I'm a teacher, I will be someone that students feel they can come to for support with issues such as sexuality.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

the more open minded we are as a society the less atrocities will occur - like the two that happened in Texas - 1. the black man that was chained to the back of a good ole ford and dragged to death.
2. the people that beat a guy to death because he was gay.

to have hate and discomfort in your heart because of things that people prefer or things that people have no control over (race, wealth etc.) is absolutley ridiculus.

the more you fear and hate the less fullfilling your life will be.

its good to have values, morals, beliefs, and standards to live your life by but dont think that somone elses beliefs are inferror to yours just because there differant.

Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I had never really thought that I would need to even consider homosexuality, since I'm planning to teach kindergarten. The speaker really did open my eyes to the fact that I may have to deal with same sex parents and the idea that not everyone has mommy and daddy. However, the information was more intended for high school teachers. I would have liked some more ideas about how to deal with different situations in the elementary setting. I realize, though, that the topic of homosexuality lends itself to middle and high school settings. Maybe talking to the speaker one-on-one would give me more ideas.

Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:55 am
All-star
All-star

I feel that my college experience has opened my eyes to all new things, including stuff about homosexuality. I'm finding it harder and harder to think the same way I did back in highschool, when I knew very few homosexual people, and rarely talked about the topic. I guess I always considered myself a pretty open person, but this topic has always been sort of sticky for me to want to hear about or talk about. I couldn't help think about how similar the scenes in the Laramie Project looked to the riots and protest held in the 1960's about civil rights for blacks. I mean, homosexuals are human beings just like everybody else, why would they deserve any different treatment than anybody else?

Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I found the guest speaker to be very informative and inspiring. He seems to be a very strong person and is willing to take what it takes to be who he is. I did not realize that homosexuality was so looked down upon in the classroom. Well, I guess I just never have thought about it. I respect him for what he is doing and wish him the best of luck but I have a feeling he might have a hard road ahead of him. Gays are not very accepted in our society and I know there are parents out there that are going to have a hard time accepting there child being in a classroom where their teacher is openly gay. I do not think as a parent I would have a problem with it. I remember in elementary school knowing that our gym teacher was gay but it never effected our class but I'm sure parents might not of liked it. I don't know the more I think about it, it is a hard subject to deal with. I see both sides but I hope that our society can one day accept that everyone is different and we must understand and accept them for who they are.

Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought the guest speaker did a wonderful job with his presentation!! It takes courage to be able to come out in society and express who you really are. I praise him for being proud of who he is, as well as educating individuals about different sexual orientations. I think he gave us some very useful information. It is important as educators not to be ignorant! I liked his suggestions about teaching non-hate values and tolerance in the classroom.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I did enjoy the speaker. I feel that it is definately an issue that each of us will have to come in contact with and it helps to have an actual personal perspective on the topic. He did a great job of informing us of ideas. One that stuck out to me was about when you have parents day or some activity like that to not confine it to a mom or dad. This situation also helps if a child has a deceased parent and is the only kid without a mom or dad. Also the word problems of mixing gender roles might help to break some stereotypical ideas of what men and women roles are. I am glad I got the chance to hear him, and i admire him for his passion of doing what he feels is right for him.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]