View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Banned books 
All-star
All-star

I recently wrote a research paper on why Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" should not be banned in high school classrooms. Huck Finn is another book that is frequently banned from school systems, and a major reason for this is the use of the word "nigger." What do you think about the banning of this book, and what is your opinion on keeping this term
alive in literature in order to keep the story a realistic view of the South during slave times? Is it appropriate? Do you think "Catcher" and "Huck Finn" should be taught in schools? Why or why not? Just thought this was an interesting topic that some people might have interesting opinions on, and it has come up as an issue in a few of my other classes, as well, so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I have never read "Catcher in the Rye," and it has been so long ago since "Huck Finn." However, I can say my opinion on banning books. I hate the thought of an author working so hard on a book, only to be told years later that their book is inappropriate. I'm guessing that the reason why I never read "Catcher in the Rye" is because it was banned, but it's not a book that I ever thought about reading on my own. Now that I'm in college, my English classes make numerous references to the book, and I never know what they are talking about. Sometimes the banned books are the ones that will hook a child into reading, so although I would follow the rules and not read a banned book in my class (as to not put my job on the line), I would encourage them to read them on their own. I think that the teacher and child's parents should be the ones helping them with their book selections, and I don't want someone I've never met to tell me that I am not allowed to read this book in my classroom.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]