View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 the new classics of literature 
All-star
All-star

Today in one of my other ed classes we discussed how the list of "the classics" of literature are prett much being passed over in our classroom for other reading sources. When I say "the classics", I mean books like: The Odyssey, Moby Dick, Shakespeare's works, etc. We said that since most of these books weren't written in this century, it's easy to see how the students wouldn't fully get the language, humor. or the overall themes with the works. Many suggest that when teachers teach these works, that they be totally skilled in the history and the thinking of the time(when it was written), and be able to teach the material effectively. Or should we just create a new cannon of "classics"?? Any thoughts?? :D

Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that "the classics" should be overlooked. I mean they are considered classics for a reason. I do however think that when a teacher teaches these books that they try very hard to bring it down to the child's level. Maybe the students could act out one of shakespeare's plays or maybe the teacher could find extra activities that go along with the book to help them understand a little bit better.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess I'm a little late to post on this topic, but I had a comment to make on it anyway. I'm taking adolescent literature and we deal with this issue of teaching the classics constantly. One solution to make teaching them easier and to get the students more involved is to use thematic units where you teach a lot of different genres or types of materials that all relate to a certain theme (for ex. love, death, homosexuality, etc.). Another, and one of the most effective and innovative ways to deal with teaching the classics is the pair a classic with another young adult novel. For example, when reading Romeo and Juliet, read another more recent/modern version, remake, or just a novel that has a similar theme or plotline along with this classic. That way, students will have more fun or get more into the classic if they can relate to it in a present-day sense. This is a great class for all people who will be teaching language arts/English in middle or high school, and I highly recommend it! (Dr. O'Quinn or Dr. Vogel- ENG 3570) 8)

Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]