View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 War in the Schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know there has already been a thread about the media coverage on the war but my question for you guys is a little different. Do you guys feel that the war is something that should be talked about with your students. I know several students in high school right now where the teacher lets them have the tv all class period while he teaches. I don't really know how i feel about this. I was in second grade when the gulf war was going on and i remember that we sent letters to this girl in my class's father. We wrote things like thank you and i hope you get to come home soon. I was just curious as to what ya'll thought.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is important for the students to know the facts. And that is hard especially when it is tough to sift through all of the information and find the appropriate facts. As teachers we should present the facts and be as unbiased as possible. If we are truly wanting our students to possess formal operations thinking we should give them the information and let them sort out the details and make up their own minds. Maybe? :?

Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

we want our students to be thinking with higher order skills.

we should address all major world events (especially in high school classes), i always hated when teachers didnt say anything in class about something big happening in the world, it made me feel that they were out of touch with reality and that all they cared about was their subject matter.

we should also pick and choose the information we want to talk about and the relevance to the age and maturity of the students. for example, yesterday we shot and killed some people in a van because we thought they were more suicide bombers, but they actually had women and children in the van with them. now i dont think it would be appropreate to discuss that situation in alot of classrooms with younger students, but i do feel its important for upperclass high school students to be aware of the consequences of war and the big mistakes that take place.

Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]