View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Easter Party 
All-star
All-star

When i was in school my teachers would almost always have a easter party in the classroom. Now since everyone does not celebrate easter, do you think this was a good idea. Even though many people did not complain about a party for that class period some students might not be all that comfortable with celebrating easter. I think it would be ok to just have an easter party if it was not some how makeing anyone feel uncomfortable religiously.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:16 am
All-star
All-star

My goodness, let's face it... Our little easter parties unfortunatly don't focus on the true meaning of Easter anyway. Instead of a cross- we have the Easter bunny and eggs. Both of which have nothing to do with Christianity. I'm so tired of people complaining about things they don't agree with in the classroom (not our class-- but society!). If we keep taking things away- we're going to be left with a pretty boring classroom without any of the fun memories we had as children growing up.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I pretty much agree with Lindsay. The "Easter Bunny" and dying easter eggs has nothing to do with the real meaning of Easter much less any specific religion. The only way an Easter party would offend someone would be if they didn't believe in parties. I had a teacher in third grade that didn't believe in parties and when all the other classes were having parties she would leave the room and our assistant would be in charge of the parties we had. I think that it is really important as a teacher to find out as much as possible at the beginning of the school year and try to get a feel for the child and the parents/guardians and what might offend them. Tough situation!

Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it may not be a good idea to have an Easter party in the public schools. There are so many different issues about religion out there, I would feel more comfortable staying out of it. Perhaps instead of having an Easter party, have a celebration of the coming of Spring (flowers blooming, green grass, animals, trees budding etc.). I think it would be better safe than sorry when it comes to religion :wink:

Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:05 pm
All-star
All-star

As much as I love parties, I agree with Rachel that it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to religion, even with the commercialized holidays. I really hate it when a child gets left out of something because of his/her religion, even if bunnies and eggs have nothing to do with the true meaning of Easter. I would not take away the idea of a celebration though. Earth Day is in April; think of all of the cool stuff that you can do with that. Maybe an Earth Day celebration would be one all children would be able to participate in. (On a lighter note, we had Easter parties growing up, and we had to find Easter Eggs. If you got a big glittery egg, that meant you got a prize, and I always wanted one of those eggs. However, I was never that lucky!!)

Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't know how each school handles parties and such. I remember that during 8th grade our system cut back to the number of parties we could have per team. We didn't have an Easter party that year, but we combined an Easter and a Spring party.I agree with the earlier posts about eggs and rabbits not being apart of the true Easter meaning. I honestly think the students would enjoy a day outside like we had in 8th grade, and we just called it a "Spring Party". It sounds silly but it might eliminate some confusion and some dissent. :?

Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I Loved all the parties that we had during the school year. And an easter party was always a fun thing to look 4ward to (dying the eggs, having easter egg hunts). So I think it is fine to keep these innocent types of party's in the schools because as Lindsey said we dont' celebrate Christianity during this time....

<3 Jennie Ingram

Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:27 am
All-star
All-star

In the school system I attended in Ohio we did not have easter parties, probably becauser easter is not as big of an occassion out of the bible belt, and I don't remember missing it. Commercialized or not I do not see the point in celebrating religious holidays at school, and easter is a religious holiday. I don't think you could ever be confident that there is no one uncomfortable with it, because they may choose not to speak up. But regardless, in my opinion easter parties should be reserved for sunday school. There is no need to marginalize anyone, as mentioned just clebrate spring.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]