View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 male or female 
All-star
All-star

After viewing the transgender video I felt sad that these people were so unhappy with themselves. As teachers we will face students with low self esteem. How do we help them? Do we encourage them to change things about themselves or do we try to help them find their gifts and talents so they can find success?

Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:48 am
All-star
All-star

I think it is really important to encourage students' gifts and talents. We can not change people into being something they're not. I think the worst thing would be to ignore reality and try to mold one in an unwanted direction. This would probably hurt the child the most. It is so evident to accept differences and offer guidance while cherishing talents to create success. :D

Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:22 pm
All-star
All-star

We have talked about this in class before, but I just wanted to mention in response that it is always necessary to be open for your students. My favorite teachers have always been the ones who make sure that their students know that they are there for them if they need anything. So, having an open mind as a teacher is very necessary. Also, in terms of self-esteem, it always feels wonderful when teachers acknowledge something that you are good at, without going too far or embarrassing a student. Anyway, that's all I wanted to say about that :wink:

Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Katie. I believe that we must be open to differences in our students and we must not fear these differences, no matter how extreme that they may seem to us. Always have an open mind when dealing with children and their questions of identity. Children are so vulnerable when developing their identities. The best way to help them is to be accepting and willing to listen.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:35 pm
All-star
All-star

It is sad. I can remember in my small Ohio town there was a cross dresser, who my middle school friend's Dad had to sew his penis back on because he had cut it off. He was probably hoping they'd go ahead and do sexual reassignment. Clearly for some they will go to these extremes because of their discomfort of who they are. As teachers the first thing to do is be sure that the classroom is a safe place for all students, and that abuse will not be tolerated as the speaker about homosexuality suggested. Also, be sure that each child has a time to shine, being able to help the teacher, having their work posted up, etc. so that they may feel respected and important. However, its nice to think that as teachers we can help kids to avoid such tragedy, but I think psychologists are better equipped for handling such extremes.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the best thing to do is to help them realize their gifts and talents which will be hard because they do have low self esteem. I do think it will be a huge booster once they start thinking, maybe have them list everything they like about themselves. Also on the other side, have them list things they can not do and then rip it up in front of them and tell them since its ripped up they can not say they "can't" do those things or never become those things because its gone and in the past. Just a couple ideas.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]