View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Gender and Jessica 
All-star
All-star

I have been thinking a lot about gender lately, its roles in society, and where I stand on certain issues. The capture of Jessica Lynch and another woman Shoshana ....something :wink: has brought the country once again to the debate of the roles that women should play in War. Prior to this War women were not allowed so close the front lines in combat, however they have been captured before, like the nurses in Vietnam. The legislation that Bill Clinton passed to allow women to assume more wartime roles was considered a step forward for the women's movement. However, I am not necessarily convinced. A very large part of me feels that women should be able to do whatever they are physically capable of doing. But, women are much more vulnurable to torture. Yes men are raped, but not anywhere near the extent that women are. So is it really a step forward to put women in this position, or is it exposing them to danger that men for the most part do not have to face? I don't know. What do you think?

Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]