View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Teachers' Lounge 
All-star
All-star

After a discussion with Dr. Turner today about her hearing teachers talk hatefully about their students in a teachers' lounge, I began to wonder what everyone thought about the teachers' lounge. When I substitute, I usually do not eat lunch in the teachers' lounge because I do not want to hear their hateful talking, and sometimes the teachers' lounge discussions influence whether I want to work at that particular school. Do you think that you will take advantage of a teachers' lounge during lunch? If you hear a teacher talking hatefully about a child, would you speak up?

Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:26 pm
All-star
All-star

When i was in school we always had the joke about smoke boiling out of the teacher's lounge to calm their nerves of students. I do not think i will eat in the teacher's lounge. I will just have to see how the system works though. I may end up liking it to gather new ideas.If i have a struggling student or if someone else brings up a concern, hopefully we can brainstorm together to come to a suitable solution other than bashing their performance.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:25 pm
All-star
All-star

My mom is a teacher's assistant at an elementary school. She gave me some very sound advise concerning the teacher's lounge: "Stay away from there." She told me that hanging around the teacher's lounge was just like asking for trouble. Gossip about students, other teachers, and administration is the main topic of conversation. I think I'll listen to my mom and steer clear!

Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I too, have heard to stay away from the teacher's lounge due to the negative atmosphere. I think that it totally depends on the teachers and the school that you are at, however. I am a practicum student at Banner Elk Elementary and the workroom is the teacher's lounge too because the school is so small. My job as the practicum student is often to run copies, run the laminator machine and cut stuff out in the workroom. There is very little gossip going on while I'm in there. Maybe due to the fact that I'm in there, and perhaps due to the fact that there are 9 teachers in the whole school (plus staff and some assistants, but dang! 9!!). But anyway, maybe it's just because it's a small school, but I have seen one lounge where there's no smoking and very little gossip. Again, I think it depends on the school.

Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I def. agree that it depends on the teachers and the school, but we have to realize that it doesn't matter where we go, there are going to be people that gossip and people that talk crap (that's just a part of life wherever you go) but I think one can make the decision for themselves after seeing the atmosophere. This was a good subject to bring up because it also deals with how to handle not getting involved in "negative things" that could come back around on you!!

<3 Jennie Ingram

Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

I agree! I hate gossip and I know the teachers lounge is the best place for it. My mom is a teacher and they are required to eat with there students in their class in the cafateria. I think this is important. This is a great way to get to know your class outside of the classroom. You will be surprised the things you can learn from just one student in 30 minutes of lunch. This is probably the only good meal some of these kids get and they need a sit down enviroment with an elder there to respond. I do think that if there are teachers in the lounge sitting and gossiping they need to get out of the profession and get a life.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:14 pm
All-star
All-star

yeah Julie- I've heard to be careful spending time in a teacher's lounge for that exact reason. It's too bad that teachers can't just be positive like Dr. Turner was saying we need be, because one part that I hear burns teachers out is the fact that they have no social interaction at school with their peers. I guess to solve that problem, would just be to plan activities after school sometimes- like the dinner/ coffee thing- so you can spend time with people your own age- and still be encouraged to teach!

Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

stay out stay out stay out of that lounge
i was doing my observing in hales class and decided to hang in the lounge one day
how horrible all the teachers start to get when they start talking about their students!

Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]