View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 health for kids 
All-star
All-star

I read a really disturbing article a few days ago. The article addressed the issue of worsening health, particularly more cases of obesity and all the problems that go along with it, in the kids of today. According to the research, children are getting less and less time for both physical educaiton and health education classes. Also, the lunches and snacks being provided for students have very little nutritional value. Many times, schools only allow this bad nutrition to promote brands, such as soda and candy companies, which will give them benefits in return. I was wondering what y'all thought about this problem. What can we do to improve the situation? Is this even something we should be worrying about?

Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I think one solution to the obesity problem is to get rid of the candy and drink machines. I know when I was in elementary or middle school the only machines were in the teacher's lounge- and a student had to be accompanied by a teacher to get a drink after school. I also see the idea that P.E. should be mandatory in all grades, from K-12. But also, times seem to have changed since I was in grade school(not that I'm soo old :) ) but kids like to play games online and the computer has become a huge timetaker. Not that computers aer bad, I spend my fair share of the day on mine. But I know that from 3:30 to whenever it got dark, I was outside playing; the only reason I came in was if I was bleeding or needed to change out of clothes. Now it seems that if a students asks a friend to play football afterschool, the friend will say, "Yeah, I'll bring my disk." :shock:

Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:23 pm
All-star
All-star

yeah Aaron I think u summarized it up GREAT!!! But on another side note i think obesity in the schools stemms from obesity in the homes. Parents need to watch what they let their kids eat and at what time..if they practice good eating habits at home it will just become more natural at school.

<3 Jennie Ingram

Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:13 am
All-star
All-star

Since i am a PE major this is something i deal with every day. We talk about how and what to do about the obestiy problem in the schools. It doesnt help that they have been taking PE out of the schools lately. As of recently PE is being brought back in a hurry and there are starting to be more restrictions on how much physical activity a child must recieve. It is a problem with parents taking the kid to McDonalds 6 days a week and throwing them infront of the TV to babysit.

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:04 am
All-star
All-star

Unfortunately there are a lot of obese youngsters these days. I think this obesity is caused by: watching too much TV and playing video games rather than going outside and being physically active, parents not having enough time to cook nutritious meals (meals out of a box or a can), the increased demand for fast food. Also, if the child's parents are obese there is a great chance that the child will too be obese. I think there should be more health education and promotion in the family and school. Also, we as teachers must be good models for these kids in eating healthy and practicing a healthy lifestyle with ourselves. :D

Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:02 pm
All-star
All-star

Health has become a meaningful issue all over the nation. Students are experiencing budget cuts within their schools by having physical education, art and other programs being taken away. Students need to have exercise and learn about nutrition within their own lives. I agree that the snack and drink machines need to remain only in the teacher's lounge opposed to the cafeteria. Parents need to help their children at home by packing nutritional lunches and providing well balanced meals for their childen. Along with everything else it all starts at home!

Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:34 am
All-star
All-star

Yes, I think obesity is a problem for younger kids as well as anerexia. This can be blamed on different things like yall said. Home is a big reason. Children follow their home routines and how they are trained to eat. Then it can be blamed on the school for not providing enough health education as well as physical recreation. We have to provide the information to children at home and at school and then kids will have to make their own decisions on how they diet and excercise. We can only provide a foundation and they must react. I agree that in elementary schools the soda machines should not be available to students but as they go to middle and high school that is where the kids should know what is best and make their own decisions on what they can and cannot eat and drink!!

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]