View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 c0-worker anxiety 
All-star
All-star

Most elementary teachers have an assistant in the same classroom until grade 4. However, I wonder how the relationship will work out in the future. I often worry about if we will share the same teaching styles, viewpoints and etc. I just hope that instead of having clashing personality and teaching styles, that we share a wonderful friendship together and are able to work together to teach our students. Do you guys worry about this at all? Tell me what you think.

Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I've often wondered about that, too, but I'm hoping that the administration will be supportive enough to place me with an assistant who shares my educational philosophies. Even if I don't personally get along with the assistant, I want both of us to put aside our differences to make the children's experience the best possible. However, I really hope, as you do, that I will have a very good friendship and working relationship with my assistant.

Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:02 pm
All-star
All-star

I have never really thought about this before, however, I feel that hopefullt there will not be any clashes as far as relationships go. Naturally, there might be some sort of differences in teaching styles etc., but hopefully the two will learn from each other and become better teachers. As a result of being in the elementary schools once a week, I have definately witnessed some things that the teacher in the classroom does that I don't agree with. Also, on the flip side, she has taught me several useful methods of teaching that I will use throughout my life. :)

Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I have seen teacher and teachers assistants who get along pretty well. I think it would be good for the teacher and the assistant to decide before the year starts what their expectations are for each other and themselves. This would avoid some possible problems.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:32 am
All-star
All-star

that's a good point that I never thought about! I guess I just planned on teaching and forgot that I would have someone in there to help. I think it's important to inculde the helper as much as he or she wants. I guess we can't be too closed minded and think that our way of teaching is always the best- we should be open to suggestions! I think it would be nice to have someone to provide feedback for me - b/c it would help me become a better teacher!

Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have never really considered not getting along with the assistant. As a child i always assumed that both of my teachers were friends. Of course now, well at least in the county i am from, i don't think there is much to worry about. Now most grades with the exception of Kindergarten share one assistant per grade. There is talk of them trying to do away with teaching assistants in general.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:19 pm
All-star
All-star

My mom is a teacher's assistant, and I'm sure y'all have figured out by now that I get a lot of my advice from her. I have heard really great and really horrible stories of teacher-assistant relationships. It would be nice to think that you would just get along with all your assistants, but it would also be very naive. Here is the good news, though! Usually, if there is a big problem between the teacher and assistant, then arrangements will be made to fix the problem. As hard up as schools are for both good teachers and assistants, they will try to please them before they will force them to leave. So, you may have to spend a maximum of one year with a person you don't particularly enjoy. And hey, that's just life...we're not gonna like everybody.

Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:54 pm
All-star
All-star

yeah, that topic is definitely on my mind. in my classroom, i wanna be selfish, you know? i wanna teach the way i would like to and not have to compromise with anyone else's ideas about how to tackle a specific topic. but this idea also makes me think back to last semester when i took FDN3850 and it was team taught; that was possibly the worst instruction i have had here at ASU. they took three very different professors, with three very different takes on teaching philosophies and strategies and stuck them in one classroom teaching three sections combined. ugh! that experience was frustrating--each day in class trying to follow from one teacher's thoughts to the next as they'd all three try to teach one lesson. anyways, i could go one forever about that. i guess it's just my pessimistic side giving yall an example of how more than one teacher in a classroom can be very ineffective

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]